Rockauto

I just wanted to get some info from folks who have ordered from Rockauto, as I never have. I have been looking at a few oil filters on there out of curiosity, but noticed that they all list "alternate part numbers", some just a few, and some list dozens of part numbers. When you order, say a Champ XL filter for example, do you actually receive a Champ XL filter, or just whatever they feel like sending off of that list of alternate part numbers? Seems like a bit of a gamble if that is how it works. I couldn't find the answer so I figured I'd see if anyone has experience with this. Thank you very much.

You get what you ordered, a Champ XL. If you buy a close out special then you can get a different branded part but will still be what you ordered. For example I ordered some close out Trico wipers that actually were labeled NAPA but were still the Tricos

I just wanted to get some info from folks who have ordered from Rockauto, as I never have. I have been looking at a few oil filters on there out of curiosity, but noticed that they all list "alternate part numbers", some just a few, and some list dozens of part numbers. When you order, say a Champ XL filter for example, do you actually receive a Champ XL filter, or just whatever they feel like sending off of that list of alternate part numbers? Seems like a bit of a gamble if that is how it works. I couldn't find the answer so I figured I'd see if anyone has experience with this. Thank you very much.
Myself, I never order oil filters from Rock Auto. I seen to many posts here from dented, rusted, old or something that was not liked about the filters received. I like to open the box and look to see before yanking out the cash.

I have been ordering parts from RockAuto.com since about 2007...I always get my oil filters from them and in all that time I have received only one that I questioned...an ACD filter with a loose gasket (later learned this was more common than I thought) and I contacted RockAuto.com and questioned it as the box was also opened, had a torn and missing box lid with packing tape to cover it...

RockAuto.com asked if I could use the filter and I replied I didn't know (as I didn't at the time) and they refunded me that amount even when I hadn't asked them too...I later learned loose gaskets had been more common than I thought (checking same filter at Walmart and seeing same)...I used the filter and had no issue with its performance...

Bill

An example would help....

If I were to guess, on any given aftermarket filter, for example a Fram 7317 variant, they may be listing the OEM part numbers for Honda, Nissan... and yes, that's what they're doing. Using a Champ filter in a common size, they list these alternate part numbers:

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 0151855, 0FE00380, 1520831U00, 1520831U00L, 1520831U01, 1520831U0A, 1520831U0B, 152087B000, 152089E000, 152089E01A, 15208HC400, 15208HC401, 15400PLC003, 15400PLC004, 15400PLMA01, 15400PLMA01PE, 15400PLMA02, 15400PLMA02PE, 15400PR3014, 15400RTA003, 15400ZJ1004, 2077983, 263003E010, 30A4000105, 35822626K04, 35822626Q05, 358M0065104, 5527655812, 5JW1344000, 5JW134400000, 84091717, DG7317, G6Y014302P1, HM7317, MZ690072, N3R114302, OC707, OFE00380, TG7317, XG7317, XJAF02697
Most of those (the ones starting with 15208 and 15400 are Honda oil filter part numbers. They will NOT ship you a Honda oil filter though.

Thank you everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it. I am like @Lubener in that I like to take a sneak peek before I buy a filter. About 7 or 8 years ago I ordered a Purolator, made in the USA cabin air filter on Amazon and received some no-name, made in china filter, and when I contacted them they tried to tell me it was a "Purolator equivelant". I got a refund, but since then I have been hesitant to buy much without seeing it first. Thank you once again for the first hand experiences, I have wanted to try the Champ XL's, so may pick up a couple.

Thank you everyone for the help, I truly appreciate it. I am like @Lubener in that I like to take a sneak peek before I buy a filter. About 7 or 8 years ago I ordered a Purolator, made in the USA cabin air filter on Amazon and received some no-name, made in china filter, and when I contacted them they tried to tell me it was a "Purolator equivelant". I got a refund, but since then I have been hesitant to buy much without seeing it first. Thank you once again for the first hand experiences, I have wanted to try the Champ XL's, so may pick up a couple.
That happens with them. I ordered AC Delco spark plugs from them one time. They were knock offs ,lesson learned...Rock Auto is legit.

I’ve ordered from RA several times and always got exactly what I ordered. I’ve ordered the Champ XL’s and that’s what I got. I’m on the side of buying them over the counter though so I can look them over.

Rock Auto is a drop ship outfit - they don't touch anything themselves. I order from them anyway, never had a problem with filters but I only ordered wix. I have had issues on other parts and warranty was non existant. So I only order simple things and I need to save a lot of money in order to make it worth the risk.

Amazon - if its shipped and sold by Amazon - is great, and if it does turn out to be bad - they will handle it. If you order from a 3rd party seller your on your own, so you need to make sure who the "seller" is - something I really dislike about amazon.

The only one I will order from on ebay is LKQ - used parts. You can order directly from LKQ but ebay from them seems much simpler to me.

Is there a way to tell if parts are going to be shipped from same warehouse without putting all of it in your cart?
I have a feeling that is Rock Auto's primary source of profit. I have had a basket full of stuff with 2 different shipping boxes, I remove a part, and it jumps to 3 boxes. Not kidding. One of my pet peeves. I have no problem paying for shipping, but I shouldn't need to have to game it.

I have bought plenty of oil filters from RA and always got what I ordered. Around 2011, I ordered a bunch of Wix private label filters for my wife’s Corolla, small block Chevy, and some 51515’s that came with the AutoXtra labeling. I should have researched them first, because I didn’t realize they were a lower tier filter than the standard Wix line. However, none of the filters gave me trouble and my OCIs are short enough where there shouldn’t be issues. Now the RA site does a better job labeling jobber vs. daily vs. heavy duty filters (at least for Wix and Champ). I never received any dented or rusted filters, not even in my order of 44 clearance Fram Ultra FPS5 filters at $1.04/each. It’s possible those filters were a few years old, but that may be a good thing given the recent cheapening of construction.

I have been ordering parts from RockAuto.com since about 2007...I always get my oil filters from them and in all that time I have received only one that I questioned...an ACD filter with a loose gasket (later learned this was more common than I thought) and I contacted RockAuto.com and questioned it as the box was also opened, had a torn and missing box lid with packing tape to cover it...

RockAuto.com asked if I could use the filter and I replied I didn't know (as I didn't at the time) and they refunded me that amount even when I hadn't asked them too...I later learned loose gaskets had been more common than I thought (checking same filter at Walmart and seeing same)...I used the filter and had no issue with its performance...

Bill

The gasket is not glued on, it is wedged in a groove and when you put it on, it will be pinched between the filter head and the groove.
I wonder about that also in the past.

My bad RA filter story (out of, say, 12 filters of all types) was when a dented filter was delivered and a strip of paper was included in the box.
It read, "This filter is dented and the dents will not effect operation. This filter is not returnable".
It was just fine in service.

The moral: Weight the entire experience or pick your fights or be outraged. Having had to return only 2 items to RA over the years, I continue to patronize them.
I bet I could have returned that filter had I wanted to.

I’ve ordered from RA several times and always got exactly what I ordered. I’ve ordered the Champ XL’s and that’s what I got. I’m on the side of buying them over the counter though so I can look them over.
That's how I am as well, even if it costs a bit more I like being able to pick out the one that looks the best to me. I just wish Napa and O'Reilly's stocked a bit more variety. I'm like a little kid and am curious about a different colored toy (oil filter), so I'll probably eventually give in and try the Champ XL 🙂

I don't order parts but if I did Rock Auto would be on my short list in part because they are a major sponsor for Motorweek.
That was how I checked them out in the first place, they sponsor a couple of radio shows/podcasts that I enjoy, so I was curious what folks who have experience with them thought.

Back