Rock Auto horrible customer service

I have been ordering from RA with good success since ~2004 and at one time, they did have excellent customer service. Lately I have noticed that their customer service has gone way down to almost nothing at all.

I am aware that I have a choice and that I can buy my parts from another source. However I didn't realize this decline in their customer service until I needed to contact them with an issue. Now I know!

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Rock Auto myself. I too practice my ordering strategy to limit shipping costs, so I avoid problems. I've had bad wheels hub bearing assemblies from them, but I have to own some of that for buying the cheapest ones... won't do that again. But my last order, I grabbed a few Fram Pro Synthetic FP2 oil filters (a few cars I work on use these same filters so I keep a small inventory of this size, like Baldwin, Hastings, etc.).. one came in dented. I contacted them and a replacement was sent out within an hour. I got it a couple days later. I still have that dented filter if anyone wants to dissect it ...Ž. So I'll keep using them, but checking them against Amazon or even eBay (dealers usually).

I wanted to try Rock Auto but my co-worker talked me out of it. He calls them Junk Auto. He also told me their customer service is nonexistent and rude.

Re RAR'S post: They sent me dented filters and had strips of printed paper reading "You CANNOT return these filter for any reason". They knew they were shipping dented filters and banked on me not taking them to court (that's an expression).

Also, I explained here in detail how I assembled an order to source from one warehouse. As I added items which featured the little truck (meaning they came from the same warehouse) the warehouse assignments of the other items would change. They have a system in place to lie.

As mentioned above. Know what you're dealing with and vote with your wallet.

If a problem arises with an AC compressor or wheel hub would you prefer dealing locally or with them?

When you buy their dollar oil filters, or dollar wiper blades, I think you get whatever was left in some warehouse for 10 years.

I guess buy a bunch so you can plan on throwing some out.

I regularly (and almost religiously) buy their inexpensive/closeout wipers with every order. Never had a problem -- then again I am of the belief of buy cheap and replace often for wiper blades. I've never personally seen a $30 blade last any longer than a $3 blade....that may just be too small of a sample size and/or the nature of the SW where humidity hovers near zero and it doesn't rain much.....but it's worked for me for decades now (shrug)

If he was a victim (and I'm not 100% buying that argument) he went from victim to volunteer when he went ahead and ordered the more expensive parts.

Frustrating? Yes, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

Bad customer service? Not sure. By buying what they were offering, he made the decision with his dollars that what was being offered was worth what they were asking.

Not sure there is a case for bad customer service if he takes the alternative deal.

Originally Posted by D60
I do love how the first replies to any thread of this nature are victim blaming. It's apparently an internet rule that if anyone posts any rant or complaint for any reason they must be told they are unreasonable.

I understand OP's frustration and I think he has a point. He may be a bit too worked up -- or perhaps not. Overall RA has been decent with me. Sometimes I feel I have to try harder than I should to be heard, but other times they've gone above and beyond to make something right with me barely voicing a complaint.

That said I believe we should all speak with our wallets and if OP feels wronged he should shop elsewhere. I don't have many suggestions beyond Amazon. I've never really tried the others like Parts Geek or .... CarID?. .is it? Sometimes Summit Racing can be a good source.

my experience with RockAuto = good deals & terrible customer service
no help with warranty issues, only push-back & excuses

great site for reference, though

i rarely shop there anymore and to be sure of replacement/service for an item that i may use long enough for it to fail under warranty i only buy locally where i can talk to someone face-to-face

I've ordered a lot from RA, they are just a front end to warehouses and even manufactures who ship the product.
I had some small issues with items and they made good for me. But I can see it becoming a customer service nightmare. Selecting the wrong item may invalidate your return.

Example, they ask if you "installed" the item. Sometimes the answer may be yes, only to find out it don't fit or work, and that can affect your return.

If I can though, I buy locally at Advance, the price difference is usually small and they will match RA shipped to your house. Returns and warranty are usually no problem.

Last edited:
It could have been their inventory error or could could have been the shippers error. Likely the shipper's as they (RA) just post what they're told inventory wise and have very little to do with it.

The double the cost and 4-5 day shipping sounds like an OE part to me. That really isn't a bad thing. Lol.

I don't really expect a warranty on parts I get from RA, and/or I know I'll have to do some work to get it warrantied if I want to try.

Places like O'Reilly or AZ seemingly self-insure against warranty claims by grossly inflating prices on a lot of things. So, the consumer needs to weigh likely length of ownership combined with probability of failure against price. Generally you can buy TWO of widget X from RA or Amazon for the same cost of 1 at AutoZone.

I've only ever had one problem with a Rock Auto order, and my fridge is covered in their magnets. It was the shipper that lost the package, and RA refunded me after about two weeks. No big deal.

Originally Posted by D60
I don't really expect a warranty on parts I get from RA, and/or I know I'll have to do some work to get it warrantied if I want to try.

Places like O'Reilly or AZ seemingly self-insure against warranty claims by grossly inflating prices on a lot of things. So, the consumer needs to weigh likely length of ownership combined with probability of failure against price. Generally you can buy TWO of widget X from RA or Amazon for the same cost of 1 at AutoZone.

if you want to go thru the bother, Advance auto will be happy to match the RA total w/ shipping. You can open a chat online. Then you get the warranty.

Advance is quite generous with discounts, but their full price on things in the store is very high. Understandably so.

Originally Posted by ford46guy
Originally Posted by D60

if you want to go thru the bother, Advance auto will be happy to match the RA total w/ shipping. You can open a chat online. Then you get the warranty.

Advance is quite generous with discounts, but their full price on things in the store is very high. Understandably so.

Im assuming this would be through AAP online? Warranty claims through them is a pain. Every time I've done it, they've tried to make me pay the difference between the normal price and what I paid.

Back