Rock Auto Frustration Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an example of why I feel it is very helpful to have a spare vehicle, at least 1 more than # of drivers at a residence, so if you have to suffer extended downtime, nobody is without transportation. Granted if it's a work truck or whatever, what that extra vehicle is has to be more carefully considered.

I too, sometimes get frustrated with Rock Auto but often their prices can't be beat if you want to spend the time to make a list of soon needed items and can get them from one warehouse, they when you need things from a different warehouse, you have a multi-item list for that as well.

Overall Amazon gets things to me faster but I too have seen their Prime 2 day take longer than 2 days, but more annoying is when I didn't have Prime and placed an order, they'd SIT on the order for several days to make sure it took way longer than prime would have... once they finally get the order out, it only took 2-3 days to get here but by sitting on the order, they made sure it took at least an extra 3 business days.

They did then meet their estimated ship date but something rubs me wrong about deliberately delaying to ship an order, if it were just them paying for a cheaper shipping method that would be different and the normal thing any other merchant does.

Regardless, RA and Amazon tend to be the two lowest cost options. Some things I will just buy locally instead, particularly from a very nearby Autozone because Autozone has more items with a lifetime warranty backed by them rather than through mail back to a manufacturer or seller/distributor... but usually, that part with a lifetime warranty is going to cost at least 40% more than the extact same (or same quality level at least) item from RA or Amazon.

I used to shop most at NAPA back in the day, they tended to have the highest quality in stock parts locally, but it is further away and meh my purposes are usually as above, lower cost for my pick of quality, or lifetime warranty and get it from Autozone two miles up the road.

I have been using RA for years and never really noticed a change. Sometimes it takes 2 days sometimes 12.
RA if I want it cheap.
SummitRacing if i want it quick
NAPA if i need it today.
Autozone if I want to do the same job twice.

I used to use Amazon alot but scaled back once they started allowing 3rd party sellers to be "prime". Now they have these jamoke contract delivery drivers I completely stopped.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I've had plenty of issues with Amazon Prime. I recently ordered something that was "free 1-day" shipping. Well, it took 2 days.

Oh, the tragedy....

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
Doesn't help that customers cannot speak with someone on the phone at RA for circumstances like this.

Im not sure what a CS rep could have done above and beyond what the online system told you. They would probably follow the same rules that are applied to the automation.

Originally Posted by Kira
Where is your wife from that you had to brief her on expected bad service in a chain restaurant?

Seriously, in my experience, people who live "at the end of the line" or places otherwise limited regarding availability of services, know it.

Did you just get married? Congrats if so.

We both grew up in the Midwest/ farm country. We last lived in Amish country (central Pennsylvania) for four years, where the hardware store closed at 1130am on Saturday morning and opened back up on Monday morning. My Wife likes to dress nice for her birthday dinner, it is not as enjoyable when the main meals and side dishes for this once a year meal are not prepared to basic standards.

I travel for work four days a week, average six flights in the four days. Expectation management is really important in dining and traveling. I am currently in El Paso, had a great meal at a local restaurant/ bar last night, but that is not always the case. It is very tough to run a restaurant, much easier to fix a car. I use to eat at Outback Steakhouse across the country, often once or twice per week. Years ago they were able to maintain standards, quality, and consistency. Today many Outbacks are dirty, the food is often blah, and the service is marginal.

When you can't get help, or can't pay for good help- the customer is often the victim.

I do want to ad that, if not in a extreme hurry, RA is my go to supplier. Awesome web-site, no bling, just put in your Make, model, and year, and select what you need. I have effortlessly found part options at RA that I did not know existed.

There are times not to use RA. I needed one spark plug for my 2007 F350 5.4l that has a misfire in cylinder 5. The good, so looking at plugs were replaced 25k miles ago. Coil tests good, so I think one of the replacement plugs failed. I don't want to drive the truck with a misfire (plug up the CAT), so i ordered the plug on Amazon using prime. Amazon was more efficient than RA. If I was replacing all eight plugs I would go with RA, knowing it would take a few extra days for ground delivery, but the lower cost plus no tax, makes RA a better value for multiple items out of the same warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back