Robustness of laptop vs desktop HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we prepare records for permanent curation, we go off guidelines that indicate that burned media has a lifespan of 10 - 25 years under perfect conditions (climate controlled federal and state archives). It's a big reason why paper reports, photographs, contact prints, and negatives are still used.

For my own storage, I just try to maximize redundancy with a local and off-site backups.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
A full century? I thought CD/DVDs had a shelf life of around 25 years.

I had read somewhere that burned CDs and burned DVDs had different shelf lives, something to do with their construction. I believe it was the DVD as lasting longer, but I don't recall how much. Of course, some companies sell "archival grade" media, in case that might make a difference.

I have music cd's from about 35 years old that still get used regularly and play quite well so not sire if there is a difference in what they use or not.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
A full century? I thought CD/DVDs had a shelf life of around 25 years.

I had read somewhere that burned CDs and burned DVDs had different shelf lives, something to do with their construction. I believe it was the DVD as lasting longer, but I don't recall how much. Of course, some companies sell "archival grade" media, in case that might make a difference.

Like a lot of things, the substrates and dyes used to make optical media have been getting lower and lower in quality; and the race to eek out every cent of already-slim profit margins has led most manufacturers to do away with most quality control. The last time I did any research into expected life spans of consumer-grade optical media, 10 -12 years was a good bet.

The takeaway, though, is that there is wisdom in redundancy and wisdom in continuously transferring your data onto whatever media is contemporary to the times.

Yep, I've never paid a lot of attention to supposed "archival grade" media. I don't have a lot saved digitally that must be kept, and I just do rolling backups, anyhow, which ensures I'm not relying on 15 year old media.

@spk2000: Music CDs and other commercially produced discs are a little different than something one burns at home, from a durability standpoint, for sure. I have old ones that do quite well, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back