Road tripping. Which type are you?

I drove class 8 trucks for 45 years and had a steadfast rule : For every minute stopped, I could be 1 mile down the road! Since retiring I’ve adopted the….meh, the worlds largest ball of twine might be interesting!

I'm #2. A couple years ago, when LOTS of gas stations had their bathrooms "closed due to health concerns," I bought a little bottle meant for camping to relieve oneself without getting out of a sleeping bag. I carry food with me and eat with one hand, pour coffee with one hand, etc., the ONLY thing I stop for is gas, and then it MAY be 72 seconds every 3 states.
Of course, all that is just me; if I'm with the wife & family, there's always the Complaint Dept: I gotta pee. I'm hot, turn the AC on. I'm cold, turn the heat on. I'm hungry. I'm tired. Are we there yet? How many more hours? Are we going to stop before midnight? I want a Hotel.

Yeah, I want to drive as far as possible as fast as possible. It’ll be interesting, my next car will be an EV, how am I going to do road trips. Oh well! Cheaper to stay home and get stuff done anyway.

That's the main thing holding me back from buying an EV. If I have to stop for 30+ minutes to let it fully charge, I'm just not going to bother. That'll kill the motivation to keep driving.

Would type 2’ers love Disney? The idea of rushing systemically and tracking the rides taken etc. I hear people in the office discuss their strategies.

I wonder if they pay for tix, does strategy Change with comp’d? My wife gets 2 free and we’re 3, so just feel relaxed in some sense it’s ok if we only did 6.3 rides as opposed to 17 😆

We don't take long road trips anymore as the wife can't sit for long. Years ago though when the kids were small we drove to Disney World from NJ. The one deviation that we did make was on my account. We stopped for a couple hours at Joe Gibbs Racing. It was, as I recall, pretty close to the highway so we didn't really go out of our way to get there and it was definitely worth it. Tony Stewart was driving the Home Depot car for Gibbs at the time.

2 with a bit of a walk around to stretch the legs. I don't get taken in by the big roadside notices like "Local teriyaki beaver jerky!"
I tend to plan each day on a trip. A to B with "x" particular sites along the way. Sights not set in stone, but the hotel nights are.

I’m in the #2 camp. It was because of my time stationed in N.C. Around holidays we were given either a 72 or 96 (hours off duty without having to take leave.) We called it “swooping”. Guys would swoop (drive) up or down the east coast to home and make it back in time for formation many times cutting it way too close. There was no time traveling back and forth for anything other than fuel and a bite while driving.

There was actually a traffic circle by 2nd Mar Div HQ called Swoop Circle where guys without cars would try and hitch rides by helping to pay for gas.

When my older brother was in Pensacola he would drive to Miami to see his kids.

24 hour round trip and worth the drive.

The biggest challenge with a road trip is getting the females in the house to be ready in time so we can reach our destination within the year.

#2 for me, but with young kids...can't count how many times I "toured" a Panera or a Target with my older one while the younger one ate last time we went for a 4 hour drive.

#2, I hate to stop. In fact, I've done the 1250 mile FL to PA trip many times with just 2 stops. I've done it with just one fuel stop a few times but had to make a second stop for practical reasons.

Back