Road Trip to Central America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from being crazy (I am), I am planning a long dreamt road trip to Panama, and perhaps even beyond. The "beyond" would entail shipping the vehicle via container from Panama to Cartagena, since there is a gap in the Pan American Hwy at the Panama/Colombia border. The timing is Nov, 2019. If I succeed in getting pretty far, I may ship the truck back to Long Beach.

I would like some input from people on preparing and outfitting the vehicle for the trip. I am retired, and can afford a hotel every night, so no camping is planned, except in emergencies.

The vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 6-speed manual (42k miles).

This is what I have so far:

• Replace factory battery
  • Replace factory air filter.
  • Replace wiper blades, and bring spares.
  • Spare Rain-X (tail-end of rainy season)
  • Bring 2 Fram XG filters, and Mobil 1 EP to change in Panama, leaving me with 1 spare.
  • Spare drive belts?
  • Grease gun for u-joints (required every 5k miles)
  • Portable air compressor
  • Spare Toyota anti-freeze.
  • Replace transmission fluid with Amsoil GL-4. Gearboxes were replaced with Amsoil SVG synthetic 6k miles ago.
  • Sockets, wrenches, etc.
  • A few bottles of Techron. Central American gasoline is supposedly lousy

I'm pretty sure the brakes are in good shape. Tires are fairly new BF Goodrich All Terrains

Thanks for any input on what I've missed. And yes, I'll be getting Hep A and Yellow Fever shots. Already had Hep B. I speak fluent Spanish, and have been to Latin American via airplane many times. Wife is Colombian, and I will meet her and the kids in Colombia for Christmas. At least that's the plan
smile.gif

Here is more info on how people do it:

https://www.drivetheamericas.com/

https://www.liferemotely.com/trip-s...the-darien-gap-panama-to-colombia-part-1

Is it safe to travel long distances on those roads? You'll have Colorado tags, will that make you a target?

Last edited:
If you can, do try to pack in as many small parts that are most likely to fail. Basic toolkit too. Looks like you are already thinking of the small parts like belts.
Also, a fix-a-flat spray can for the tires, and even bring one of those plug-puncture kits just in case, as it can be used without removing the tires. https://www.autozone.com/tire-repair-and-tire-wheel/tire-plugger-kit

Originally Posted by JC1
Is it safe to travel long distances on those roads? You'll have Colorado tags, will that make you a target?
Doubt he is concerned about "safety". Besides, there is a good chance he'll not be put in some Mexican jail by corrupt federales, get carjacked by a gang, or never be seen again. Bad things don't always happen.
Of course, the thousands of illegal caravans (not the Dodge kind...) will be puzzled and say "You're going the wrong way!" when they see him.

Last edited:
Just make sure you park in it in hotels with inner parking etc. Enjoy the trip. I have been down only to Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica.

Bring a fuel filtration piece as I watched some guys I paid for rides after bus drop off for gas go to fuel stations with barrels and hand pump use a rag in funnel to filter fuel.

I think cell phone frequencies are about the same there as here, so yours should work. Just in case, think about a CB radio though for back-up.
Of course carry LOTS of water bottles and hard candy in case you're stranded to get you through it.
First aid kit, plenty of rubbing alcohol bottles, some hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and mouthwash (H2O2 can be used as mouthwash too).

Originally Posted by madRiver
Just make sure you park in it in hotels with inner parking etc. Enjoy the trip. I have been down only to Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica.Bring a fuel filtration piece as I watched some guys I paid for rides after bus drop off for gas go to fuel stations with barrels and hand pump use a rag in funnel to filter fuel.
Great advice! Do they make a "sock" to place over the fuel pump, ... or maybe an actual nylon sock will do?

I noticed you want to change you oil in Panama? Why do that? Just get a fresh fill with M1 EP or AP here in the U.S. and go for it. Two quarts for top-off, sure. No oil changes required though.

Good point about the tire plugs. I actually have a kit under the back seat. I do off-roading here in Colorado because I'm an avid hiker, and off-roading is sometimes necessary to get to a trailhead. But I plan to be pretty conservative down there, and stay on the main hwy, except when I visit the Mayan ruins in Guatemala.

I've also read that the tie-downs they use inside containers aren't very strong, so I may bring a heavy duty set of ratchet straps.

Bring lots of axle oil in case you cross deep water. I'd get cheap conventional GL-5 which you won't feel bad dumping later when you get flooded again.

I'd bring wire, zip ties, ratchet straps etc for holding stuff up that's fallen off.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I noticed you want to change you oil in Panama? Why do that? Just get a fresh fill with M1 EP or AP here in the U.S. and go for it. Two quarts for top-off, sure. No oil changes required though.

The Tacoma manual requires a 5k OCI, irrespective of an oil's rating. I know EP is rated for 15k, so I might as well change it with US branded oil while I still can, and split the difference. As far as I can tell, 10W-30 is available in South America, but no 5W-30, which is preferred for my vehicle.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
The Tacoma manual requires a 5k OCI, irrespective of an oil's rating.
That's for basic SN oil only. Not the higher rated stuff.

20,000 mile oils:
M1 AP 5w30
Castrol Edge gold jug 5w30
Amsoil SS 5w30
Fram Utra 20,000 mile oil filter

Last edited:
If you'll be doing water crossings (which is likely), I'd extend all of the breathers (Diffs, T-case, trans) as high as you can on the firewall. There are kits for this. I lived in South America for a bit. Driving Ruta 40 would be a good goal.

Repairs and finding parts and supplies are not as much of a problem as you might think--everyone drives cars and trucks and needs to keep them on the road. Fuel can be just as good as anywhere as long as you fill up at busy stations. There are some small freighters that go between Panama and Colombia, sometimes with a pickup sideways across the deck. Not for the faint of heart. If you decide to do this, ask around carefully to find out who is reliable and who is a crook. A friend of mine did the trip from Canada in an ancient Corolla that his mechanic said would not pass inspection, so instead he drove it down to Panama and sold it. Consider selling your vehicle down there--they demand more than in the USA if it is the right vehicle, and I think a Toyota truck would be. Your main issues will around safety and not getting robbed. You need to get on the Internet forums where people are doing these trips right now and telling it like it is to learn about where to go and where not to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back