Drove to South America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Nice trip.

My dream is to travel from Lisbon to Vladivostok one day.

Interesting. Maybe after I'm done with the Arctic Circle segment of the Pan Am Hwy I'll look into that. At one point I looked into whether there was a ferry across the Bering Strait, and it seems there isn't one.

Extremely nifty trip.

I guess you'd want to make a trip like that in a newer more reliable vehicle.

Maybe selling the vehicle when you get to the farthest point and flying home is viable?

Originally Posted by Kira
Extremely nifty trip.

I guess you'd want to make a trip like that in a newer more reliable vehicle.

Maybe selling the vehicle when you get to the farthest point and flying home is viable?

It's hard to sell a vehicle that was temporarily imported into a country. Their systems are pretty modern down there, too, and the VIN will kick out if they try to register it.

I would have to permanently import the vehicle, and if it is even possible, it is pricey and not worth it.

Some people fly down, buy a vehicle locally, and make the trip. There are tons of overland vehicles for sale in various Facebook groups.

So, I just plan to ship mine home, and fly home.

Here's one such group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/673555489437922/

Last edited:
Stay out of Venezuela, I hear it is one of the most dangerous places in the world nowadays. Safe travels.

excellent thread jerrybob, please keep at it and be safe! your comment on fatiguing highway driving applies to southeast asia too: lots of varied motor vehicle, in the widest range of conditions and slow speeds, and hoofed traffic, and commerce on (not beside) main roads. best not to drive at night. same situation with oil weights, i generally only see 10w40 for sale.

Originally Posted by R1jake
You definitely picked the right vehicle for a trouble free trip. Gotta love Toyota.

Thanks, I agree. I don't think I'll ever own a different model vehicle. Very happy with my BFG All Terrain tires, too. In the US, I run 36 PSI. Down south, 26 to 30.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Looks fun. Thanks for sharing.

I have those tires on my truck. I will say they're not as well rounded as Goodyear Duratracs, but I've always wanted to try them and they aren't as noisy. I will buy them again.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Quite an adventure. Not sure I could do it without the ability to carry a firearm or two for protection.

Great adventure. I hope you take it all the way down to Puerto Montt in Chile. It's a very weird feeling standing in the train station and reading the plaque that reads: "You are standing in the southernmost train station in the world". In other words: "End of the line, buddy."

I particularly liked crossing the Andes from Chile to Argentina. Chile is like Bedford Falls. Argentina is like Pottersville.

Argentina and Chile especially, are both very middle class. About as scary as Canada. Well, slight exaggeration. But only slightly.

Last edited:
Hasn't Argentina been middle class since just after WW1? Isn't that why the Nazi big-wigs chose it to escape to, when WW2 Europe came to a sudden stop?
I envy your trip and all the planning prior to it, for I've never crossed our southern border yet, in my 68 years.
I tip my hat to you.

Any new vehicles like his will do lol

Originally Posted by R1jake
You definitely picked the right vehicle for a trouble free trip. Gotta love Toyota.

More than middle class at the turn of the twentieth century. Downright wealthy. They have art museums filled with fantastic art of that period.

Argentina is still wealthy or should be. They have the richest farm land in the world, 100% literacy rate, self sufficient in natural gas, favored port. It's like Kansas with good weather and ocean access.

I'll respect the no politics pledge of this forum, but the Argentines must be the most politically inept people in the world. Right Wing, Left Wing, it doesn't matter. The only thing you can count on is incompetence.

I came home with a much better appreciation of professional politicians as a sheer nuts and bolts kind of skill.

Awesome to say the least. You should checkout expedition overland on YouTube. They travel around the world with Toyota's and they just got a Jeep gladiator. I believe they did that trip. Good luck and get back to the states safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back