Road Trip Items to Bring?

A tarp. If something happens and you need to get under the vehicle. A good flashlight.
I've been keeping one of those HF moving blankets in each vehicle lately. It'll work in a pinch on the ground, but when it's clean it'll work to protect seats and whatnot in case of picking up grubby things. Or double as a blanket I suppose.

great suggestions here. let me add... duct tape, just because. wire coat hangars, had to reattach a hanging exhaust pipe once, aeons ago. small electric hot water pot, with some coffee and instant oatmeal fixings to properly start off the day, motels aren’t offering hot breakfasts these days. as for weapons/ammo, include a 22lr something in case you can do some lawful off road plinking on public lands.

I carry a Tire Pressure Gauge, a box of assorted Fuses, a small Mag Light and a 2 Cell Mag Light. A good Craftsman Mechanics Tool Box 110 piece set. Metric and standard. A good set of Jumper Cables a Fire Extinguisher, drinking water. first aid kit.

Put a few jugs of drinking water on top of the list. Everything I've read about hiking in that region recommends one gallon per person per day. It's so dry you won't realize you're sweating.

If you end up near eastern Nevada (Baker), Great Basin National Park will be beautiful this time of year. Most campgrounds are open according to their website.

Basic tools sometimes I have not needed them but one year I was on vacation and this lady’s car quit so I put a starter on for her in the parking lot with hand tools lol the way I knew it was a starter is because when I hit it with a hammer it started. So as you see even if you might not need them someone else might. Also plenty of water and a flashlight.

I always take lots of tools a breaker bar, extra belt and pulleys,spark plug wire,spark plug. Air pump.tire plugs.

I need to make up a kit like this to just have in the vehicle. You could move the kit from vehicle to vehicle or boat.

We are taking my 2020 Ram on a week long road trip thru rural CA, AZ and UT.

I have never taken a long road trip thru rural areas before. What items should I bring with me?

I was thinking:
- gallon of 50/50 antifreeze
- jumper pack
- window cleaner
- extra quart of oil

Thanks!

Spare Key in a Hidden Location your you can access.

Instead of window cleaner and quick detailer I bring some Ultima waterless wash with me. A half ounce of concentrate mixed with 22 ounces of distilled water. At the end of the day spray down the entire front end to include windshield, mirrors, grille, bumper, lights, leading edge of hood and roof, etc. Wipe down with plush mf towel. Not only a good cleaner but leaves some protection behind. A bottle of concentrate lasts 3 years for me and is a must have.

We are taking my 2020 Ram on a week long road trip thru rural CA, AZ and UT.

I have never taken a long road trip thru rural areas before. What items should I bring with me?

I was thinking:
- gallon of 50/50 antifreeze
- jumper pack
- window cleaner
- extra quart of oil

Thanks!
Water & more water is the most important thing in the desert, you will get dehydrated even inside a vehicle. Tire plug and inflator will make life easy to get to the next town or safe area. I did a similar drive a few weeks ago through those states and up to Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. A lot of stretches with absolutely nothing. If something happens you will be waiting. A firearm or some other protection isn’t a bad idea in these times.

So far we have driven 1500 miles. We have seen Sedona, Scottsdale, Grand Canyon and the Horseshoe Bend. Currently on our way to Park City.

Added 1/2 qt of oil near the Grand Canyon and the tires developed a vibration at speeds above 80. Other than those two items, no issues to report.

Back