Road & Track magazine ending?

It's surprising that they still even had a print version still on offer, they were down to 6 issues a year recently. I was a big fan of Road & Track growing up in the 90's, but the gradual premiumization of the magazine really put me off. Back in the early 90's they would write about regular cars like a VW Passat or Honda Accord or the entry level luxury Acura's or a Baby Benz 190E but over they years it got to the point were it was all Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette ZR1, McLaren P1, etc. Bugatti's and other supercars are great and all but you realize you don't need to read the fifth test of some rare unobtainium sports car that you won't ever drive or own and might not ever see in first person.

I subscribed to R&T for a couple of decades. They had great articles on new sporty and sports cars that anyone could afford, classic cars that might or might not be worth a lot of money, what to look for when buying an older Corvette, Triumph or MG, Peter Egan's cross country driving adventures, his restoration of some interesting car, and his series of "side glances". And then one day the old knowledgeable and interesting crew were gone.

I suppose somebody saved a buck or two. And I didn't renew my subscription.

I’ve had the digital copy of R & T for years now, but even the digital versions of some magazines have disappeared. I read it on my tablet. The best part is you can click on an ad and go directly to the vendor’s website. Yeah, paper was nice but those days are over.

Reactions: JC1
That really sucks. I hate all this electronic stuff everything is going too. I can’t read off a computer screen a lot because I have a hard time following everything.
That is really a great point that isn't discussed enough. When you actually open up and read a newspaper, you get to glance at a variety of topics and stories that may be worth your while, and you may take the time and read something you hadn't planned to or even knew you took any interest in. But on-line, the reading focus is so tight that you may miss out on all of that other stuff that you may have read had it been in print. It is such a treat to actually open a paper these days, particularly knowing that the days of print news remaining available are numbered. Progress, I guess.

Sad to see. My mother bought me a subscription to R&T on my 13th birthday in 1983 and I got it for years and years. That was my magazine of dreams, where I fell in love with the Mustang SVO, the Mazda RX-7, and the Porsche 944 and 911. Witty, intelligent writing. I'll remember with fondness the regular showdowns between the Mustang GT and Camaro Z28. The article I will always remember was called "The Perils of Pristine", where they did a full detail on their long-term RX7 and wrote an entire article about the process. RIP to my teenage dreammaker.

I'm subscribed to C&D continuously since the late 70's and have all the issues. Had R&T plus MT and AW subscriptions sporadically but Car & Driver still #1 in my book.
That's basically what I also had years ago. but I think I stopped reading them maybe 5-10 years ago. C&D was always #1, then MT and then Road & Track. Autoweek was fun but if you get busy, those weekly magazines tend to really pile up so it was one of the first to go.

I remember reading one funny bit where they were referred to as Rodent Track, Cur and Driver and I forget if they had something for the other ones.

Subscribed on and off over the years to R&T, C&D Hot Rod. Diesel Power and others but when a magazine became irrelevant I dropped them. Too bad tho because it is a loss.

I subscribed to CD and R&T since the early ‘70s, and Autoweek since around 1980. I also subscribed to Car Craft and Hot Rod during my misspent street racing youth. Now with R&T gone I’m down to CD and the British magazines BMW CAR and Thoroughbred and Classic Cars. And Roundel of course.
R&T rebooted a few years ago under my friend Sam Smith and I was very impressed, but it went down hill about a year ago when the publisher went down the “lifestyle” route.

I remember seeing just a month or so ago that R&T was going to six issues a year, but they were going a be 'big' issues and it was going to be wonderful. I didn't like the sound of that then. I hadn't seen where they were ending it, but it wouldn't surprise me. But R&T was always my favorite, until recently. I still get C&D and MT.

I also like reading a real newspaper or magazine.

Back