Road & Track - Engine Break-in debunked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Porsche made it clear to me that if I hooned out on my 911 too early in its life, that would be documented in the computer forever. Seems like Porsche believes in a light break-in.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There is way more to hard break in than "drive it like you stole it" like the article proclaims.

Indeed. And my owner's manual specifically says full throttle is beneficial to engine break in...

Since I'm an old timer, I always broke in my new engines easy. I then changed the oil at 500, 1500, 3000 miles. After that, run normal intervals. I once bought a new 2002 Chevy Cavalier (2.2 OHV base engine) in West Virginia and drove it 450 highway miles right after I drove it off the lot. My sister has this car today and it doesn't use any oil. I would guess that you can vary the breakin, but just don't dog the engine like what the article says.

Aren't all engines at some point fired up and run-in for a bit before being put into the car?

My 2005 Ram with the Hemi encouraged WOT during breakin. Oddly enough I did a few WOT in a low gear for high load with the Mazda and it doesn't consume any oil. This may have happened regardless.

The 2001 Corolla and 2005 Accord I broke in gentle and both consumed quite a bit of oil since new. Again could be other reasons why.

A GM engineer that once posted on here encouraged varying rpms and putting high load on engine after about the first 30 miles in a new car fwiw.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Porsche made it clear to me that if I hooned out on my 911 too early in its life, that would be documented in the computer forever. Seems like Porsche believes in a light break-in.

Funny...considering tbat for decades, they top-ended every new one right off the assembly line!

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Now that everything is computer controlled, if it really made any difference the manufacturers would limit this stuff for the first xxx # of miles. They don't, so it most likely doesn't matter.

That would violate emissions regulations and result in massive fines.

smile.gif

I myself would trust the auto maker engineers. let the car warm up. this removes unburned gas, water to get out of the system, oil and car parts up to temp. vary the rpm of your first 500 miles. do not redline or beat on the engine.

I changed my oil after 500 miles. likely overkill, but I want to keep my car 150,000 miles. the WORST I did was waste an oil change. the BEST I did was remove some metal filings or crud.

YES, engines today are WAY better than in the seventies, better tolerances, etc.

THEN, after 1,000 miles, you can try some wide open throttle and engine deceleration to "seat the rings"

just my two cents. it could NOT HURT to be careful for 500 miles.
best, bob

Point one is not all engines are actually run before installation in the vehicle. My favorite example is the 3.6 V6 from GM, they are actually spun up on a fixture with no combustion while a computer checks a variety of factors. They get started at the end of the line to go to transport.

Then there is Ferrari who drives straight onto their track and confirms performance on the spot!

The discussions here are interesting and many are amusing. However; the original topic was generated to demonstrate that several manufactures DON'T subscribe to the idea that a hard break-in isn't the proper way to treat a new engine. I find it curious that some self appointed experts seem to always take an opposing point of view but, never offer any real data. Ed

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Now that everything is computer controlled, if it really made any difference the manufacturers would limit this stuff for the first xxx # of miles. They don't, so it most likely doesn't matter.

That would violate emissions regulations and result in massive fines.

How is that? All they have to do is program in a simple line of code: if < x miles, then max throttle = 75%. Zero change to emissions profile.

For all we know, such code is already in there, shaving a few percent off the top for the first few miles. One would never know, since most don't hammer on a car for the first hundred miles or so.

I'd feel more comfortable knowing that my engine has had a plateau hone and/or was factory run-in rather than blindly trust end-user Owners' Manual verbage to support my imagination the rings are already set. If I didn't know how or why rings should be set, and have never thought about the topic until influenced by a passing public discussion, then my feelings and opinions that people just 'fuggedabadit' should hold even less weight.

Engines are not biological machines, they don't continue to grow and develop and are not any more 'fragile' when new than with miles, so "feeling sorry" or "merciful", whatever one's anthropomorphic appropriation to the machinery leads them to "feel" doesn't change the drivetrain or impart emotions to it.

Imagine if we brought this attitude into the foundry, who could bear to temper and harden parts what with all the brutal heating and quenching.. maybe they should go easy on the parts for the first hour or two (actually doing that would anneal the part- bad)
lol.gif

I mean, there are people out there who "follow" a light, easy regime and get serviceable life out of their engines, and that's great but they couldn't tell you how or why, they just know it's happened so they'll tell everyone else they're wrong to break in hard. Anecdotal at best, considering they don't know how or why. Conversely, there are plenty of brand new, late model engines from the biggest names out there broken in the same way that coincidentally burn a ton of oil, and the drivers topping off and running sumps low would never ever question the manner in which the piston rings were set in their engine.

My personal rationale is: Why subject yourself to that? Why increase your chances at being a whiney warranty claim? Without the knowledge that your engine was run in and/or plateau honed, why not ensure it's done by doing it yourself? What's the worse that can happen (seriously, someone think about that) because unseated rings in my brand new expensive engine would really suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back