Oh yeah, I know personally (meaning "beyond online") lots of folks

FREAK
zombie.gif

The HTHS of RLI 5W-40 seems a bit anemic for a 5W-40 oil:

HTHS @ 150º C, Apparent Viscosity, cP >2.9

Originally Posted By: moribundman
The HTHS of RLI 5W-40 seems a bit anemic for a 5W-40 oil:

HTHS @ 150º C, Apparent Viscosity, cP >2.9

I made the same mistake when reading their spec. sheets. It's saying greater than 2.9. They aren't telling you the actual #.
smirk2.gif

I know what is says. I also bet the HTHS is not considerably above 2.9 -- unless they are pitching exclusively to the "thin crowd."

Unless I know an oil has HTHS >/=3.5 it won't go in my engine.

Quote:
Don't you think I have some reasons beyond snobbery and high oil consumptions?

Do you require one? Those two would seem to be justification all by themselves.
56.gif

Quote:
In my engine, full synthetic oils generally seem to blow by the valve stem seals more than hydrocracked oils.

Hmmmm....mori oil:

The greatest advancement in recent years has been our introduction of the "VII web" process. While most viscosity index improvers shear, ours uncoil into a "virtual web" that act as snares and prevent our oils from blowing by the valve stem seals as much as full synthetics without our proprietary formula.

I know what is says. I also bet the HTHS is not considerably above 2.9 -- unless they are pitching exclusively to the "thin crowd."

Unless I know an oil has HTHS >/=3.5 it won't go in my engine.

Mori, the 5W-40 oil was engineered specifically for the RS4 engine, which is quite a bit tougher on oil than your engine. I've seen temperatures as high as 270F on the track for extended time with no issues as shown by consumption, wear, or other UOA measures, like oxidation.

If you have doubts, give Bill Garmier at RLI a call. When he is available, he'll be happy to answer your specific questions on the oil.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
If you have doubts, give Bill Garmier at RLI a call. When he is available, he'll be happy to answer your specific questions on the oil.

I read only Swiss car magazines because the Swiss don't make cars. Clear enough?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The greatest advancement in recent years has been our introduction of the "VII web" process. While most viscosity index improvers shear, ours uncoil into a "virtual web" that act as snares and prevent our oils from blowing by the valve stem seals as much as full synthetics without our proprietary formula.

Huh?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Huh?
54.gif

He was joking. The Swiss don't built cars?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The Swiss don't built cars?
whistle.gif

You know as well as I do that there have been dozens of Swiss car manufacturers. I guess Sbarro is only one still producing? However, the Swiss do not currently mass-produce any relevant consumer car. Hence one can maybe, just maybe, trust their reviews a bit more than for example a German or French car magazine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Huh?
54.gif

Yes, it was a joke.

I was trying to capitalize on mori's reference to synths blowing past his valve guide seals. I found it hard for a given fluid to flow or not flow based on its vii content. Not that I can say that this cannot occur ..just that I can't see why.

I was trying to pull off as smooth a presentation as I did here.

Quote:
quote: Try some Castrol Quietrain® with Acousticsolve®. I heard it makes your engine run really quiet and smooth.

I believe one of the greatest breakthroughs in the development of this stuff can be attributed to the proprietary Interlink® molecular catalyst process that allegedly gives the molecules longer chain properties, without them actually being longer. This supposedly will conduct mechanical resonance from the origins of the harmonic/rensonance to locations that are less apparent to the human ear, effectively turning the entire engine into an acoustic/audio sink. It's been suggested that this could eventually lead to the obsolesence of countershaft technology as more and more forces can be conducted along this "fluid transmission highway" as development advances.

It shows great promise in consumer acceptance due to the pleasent side effects. Manufacturers get to enjoy broader lattitudes in design parameters since they no longer have to factor in audio annoyances.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The Swiss don't built (build) cars?
whistle.gif

You know as well as I do that there have been dozens of Swiss car manufacturers. (AND earlier) I read only Swiss car magazines because the Swiss don't make cars. Clear enough? ;\)

I was being.....what is the word for it...? Paralogical metaphor?

I understood your comment and then came back with a silly comment, sorta Groucho Marx style.

Quote:

Oils that have worked well in the past:
- Castrol 5W-50
- Chevron DELO 400 15W-40

Oil that worked well, but with increased oil consumption:
- M1 5W-40 T&SUV
- Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40
- Red Line 5W-30

Oil that I didn't like due to rattling noises and insane oil consumption (up to almost double of the above oils!):
-M1 0W-40

I'm really surprised that you've never used GC. I don't necessarily think you need to, but I would have thought you'd have tried it by now.

I am another person who has had great success (in a normally aspirated engine) with Castrol Syntec 5W-50. I used it for about 100,000 miles in a 1.6L Nissan Sentra and when I took apart it was absolutely clean, no varnish, no noth'n.

Now, Syntec 5W-50 in my 1.8T Passat... that's a different story. Less sludge than most, but it still got sludged up.

Yak, I did use GC once. When the M1 0W-40 was about to give me tinnitus, I added half a quart of GC and the engine quieted down considerably. However, I was at that time already having issues with Castrol's shroud of secrecy and their inability to even acknowledge the existence of GC! As a consumer I don't like being treated like a twit with open wallet.

As for the 1.8T, I already knew back in '96 that I didn't want that engine. It had been out in Europe for a while and I heard things for which I didn't care. I decided then to go with the good old and very simple V6 12v engine. I knew the 30v engine was on the way, but I decided in favor of 12 future leaky valve stem seals versus 30 of them. Also didn't care for the cam chain in the 30v.

Funny how everyone is so concerned with my wallet. I'm more concerned in regard to my two expensive cats, which I very much prefer to last another 160k miles. To how much ash content I am willing to subject my engine is pretty much a function of oil consumption.

You can get an aftermarket illegal, "universal" converter for a few hundred bucks for most cars.
wink.gif

I doubt that the converters are designed to last 300k. It isn't uncommon for cats to fail after 150k, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours failed in the near future.

Wan, I don't want to waste $300 on two universal cats and I surely won't declare my cats prematurely dead just because you think you are Mademoiselle Zelda with an infallible crystal ball. The Audi's OEM cats can and often do last over 200k miles. The cats tend to crack and fly out the exhaust pipe bit by bit if dumbarse drivers jump curbs and end up in the cornfield. My cats don't ratttle, my cats are not hollowed out, and most of all my smog check turns out great each time. Watch your own car, amigo, you're in the age group that's most likely to trash a car.

Mori, I'm using Syntec 5w-50 in my 30v and it runs great, although I'm concerned with shearing with those chains. And I've also noticed lower consumption. If you are in a warm climate, have you ever considered a 20w-50? Seems like it would be the best for consumption and it used to be what was recommended for temps above 20F. I'm thinking about trying it next summer...

Wan, I don't want to waste $300 on two universal cats and I surely won't declare my cats prematurely dead just because you think you are Mademoiselle Zelda with an infallible crystal ball. The Audi's OEM cats can and often do last over 200k miles. The cats tend to crack and fly out the exhaust pipe bit by bit if dumbarse drivers jump curbs and end up in the cornfield. My cats don't ratttle, my cats are not hollowed out, and most of all my smog check turns out great each time. Watch your own car, amigo, you're in the age group that's most likely to trash a car.

It must be a Saturn thing, as most of us on the Saturn board need a new CAT every 100k or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back