Rivian Truck Spotted

I spotted my first Rivian truck while at a winery in Temecula California's winery region on Saturday. It was coming towards me as I was walking through the parking lot and I immediately identified it from the odd (or unique ?) headlight styling. As it passed me, the sound reminded me of a Toyota Camry hybrid. It had that high pitched whine that those familiar with the Toyotas would recognize. Not a bad looking vehicle and it was turning a lot of heads since I'll bet not many people have seen one yet. How long have they been on the street now ?

Those trucks have some very unique design features. I think the "cargo tunnel" is a great idea, as well as the front trunk. Those are two things almost totally missing from regular trucks, lockable storage. Interior is real nice too.
Not a big fan of the front end, but they say it grows on you.

Haven't seen one, didn't know they were out, but the stock has been pounded. First Ford formally announced that they wouldn't be joining forces with them, as expected, yet it still hurt their stock. Then Rivian announced that they will not meet their projected deliveries, with delays leading into next year. Then the big kicker...Amazon announced they were joining forces with Rivian's competition...and then the agreement between Rivian and Amazon was leaked - basically stating that Amazon is free to walk from the deal without buying any vehicles. And yet Rivian still has more capital than GM and Ford. A lot of risk on a company that will have to beat Tesla and every other major manufacturer that will be adding electric vehicles to their lineups.

Reactions: GON
Motor Trend did an cross-country mostly off road with a few of these. They proved to be very durable. Yes..BITOGers they are coming! BTW-with the technology they already beat Ford. Read the article in Motor Trend.

Spotted a transporter with two of these trucks onboard a few months ago in eastern NC. Don't think they were Rivian EVs.

1641832343558.jpg

It will be interesting in a few years to see if the leading EV's besides Teslas will be from newly formed start up companies or from the legacy automakers. Raising the kind of capital needed can be both a curse and a blessing, there is a lot of apprehension by investors with the new companies like Rivian or the Nikola which I think is going the way of Theranos but then again they are starting with a clean slate and not marketing a kludge of an existing ICE design in order to have something on the market.

There is some brand loyalty to the legacy automakers but then again a lot of people distrust them due to poor experiences with those brands and they may feel a gamble with a new EV maker to be worthwhile.

I didn’t get a picture, but we passed one just outside of Denver this last Thursday. I actually like the way it looks, it is very unique.
I’ll always love my ancient, gas guzzling V8, but I’m keen to see the evolution of EV’s. Obviously, it’s going to take some infrastructure and range improvement’s to get more people onboard to say the least, but you have to start somewhere. 🍻

I’ve heard these look good, there was one spotted near here. The guy who saw it said it looked good enough that the headlights didn’t bother him.

I saw one near Murphys CA. I liked the styling but it was a bit smaller than I expected.
Yes, I watched the video posted above, it’s about the size of a Tacoma.
At the risk of sounding old I’m having trouble with the look of the truck.

I guess public who will pay the price for this type of vehicle will decide that. But it kind of reminds me of a time when I look back at old photos of really odd looking cars that never cut it with the public.
Time will tell.

Back