Rivet punch

While looking through my grandpas old tool box for evaporust fodder I found this.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have no clue what the two holes are for. I know what the divot is for. Or is this some other tool? There is what looks like a 9 on the side of it but no other markings.

The only thing we ever riveted was sickle bar mower sections but dad and I always just used a hammer since there was enough clearance under the clips for them to clear even if they weren't pretty.

It looks like a divot in divot in a divot. Judging by the mushrooming, it sure was used a lot.

I have hand riveting tools that are similar but without the holes and smaller.

Last edited:
At least you know it was a rivet tool.

There was a time when automotive brakes (and probably tractors too) used rivited on linings. The shoes themselves were not part of the deal. You bought the lining material and attached it to the brake (or clutch, or whatever) with rivets.
My dad's tool box had a wide selection of rivet sizes and lengths, still have them.

You do know that the round end of a ball peen hammer was used specifically for that purpose, right?

any tractor wet clutch were bronze For a very old tractor, I remember ordering bronze sheet, cutting on mill, drill, rivet, then groove on lathe

Do not remember tractor, it was high school,50 years ago. The machine shop teacher restored old tractors.

Rod

Thread chaser set, supposed be USA but doesn’t say it on package. My prediction is in 20 years Automechanic repair shop franchises will be nationwide and AM will be CEO. We use Snap On tools will be in their tv ads. Maybe he will have his own Automechanic tool brand. Me, I am not sure I can pass the eye exam next year to keep on being able to drive. It’s the sunrise-sunset thing.
image.jpg

🤣 my grandpa was an old school mechanic, started on planes in WW2. Always asked guys at the swap meet if they had a rivet punch and they never even knew what he was talking about. No idea if he found one. Died before the internet became big. RIP

Back