Ripoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time you set up, do the job and clean up, you burn up an hour+ easily. $37 is a little steep, but not a total hosing

AD

Originally Posted By: The Critic
$40 is the average price for an oil change around here.

Its 40 bucks here at the Ford dealer for the Motorcraft Blend and 85 bucks for the full synthetic...The dealer rotates the tires when they do it...

There is a small garage that does it for 23 bucks but thats with just plain old dino.

I won't go to any tire dealer for a oil change as a 25 dollar oil change will turn into a 800 buck oil change with all the stuff they want do with the car while its on the rack..The problem is when you say no to the stuff they want to do they sabotage the car while its on the rack and you end up with a ton of new problems as soon as you leave...I have seen that happen many times down here to people I know.

I would expect a reputable shop to charge between $35-$40 for a LOF. Stay clear of the tire shops, the loss leader $15.99 oil change is designed for one thing only. To get the car in the air and sell, sell, sell.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Wal-Mart charges $30 for bulk ST oil change. I was there today to buy some Mobil 1 and noticed this. Crazy. I haven't paid to get my oil changed in a long time I guess.

They don't offer a bulk ST oil in my neck of the woods. AFAIK there isn't one anywhere.

The valvoline bulk oc runs $30 by my house.

I'm just too lazy to have someone else change my oil. I have done every oil change on every vehicle I have owned since 1978 and have never paid someone else to do it.
Driving into town and then drinking bad coffee in a nasty waiting room for an hour is not fun. With my stash of oil and filters I can knock out an OC in about 20 minutes.
For me it is easier, quicker, and less stressful to just change it myself.

I'll drink to that!
12.gif

I have trust issues when it comes to my vehicles.

If you average the cost per oil change...I supply my dealer with oil and filter he charges me $11.55 total. I get the empties back and a receipt for the warranty.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Originally Posted By: Cooper
Wal-Mart charges $30 for bulk ST oil change. I was there today to buy some Mobil 1 and noticed this. Crazy. I haven't paid to get my oil changed in a long time I guess.

They don't offer a bulk ST oil in my neck of the woods. AFAIK there isn't one anywhere.

The valvoline bulk oc runs $30 by my house.

Wal-Mart runs different bulk oils depending on the area, it is either Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, or in some locations Castrol.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
I won't go to any tire dealer for a oil change as a 25 dollar oil change will turn into a 800 buck oil change with all the stuff they want do with the car while its on the rack..The problem is when you say no to the stuff they want to do they sabotage the car while its on the rack and you end up with a ton of new problems as soon as you leave...I have seen that happen many times down here to people I know.

It's unfair to classify all tire shops as crooks. I take my friend's car to the local Firestone for an oil change and tire rotation every other month, and they have not attempted to rip me off. On any given day, this shop has about 40 cars lined up for service, a good number of them are from the local Hertz and Enterprise.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

It's unfair to classify all tire shops as crooks. I take my friend's car to the local Firestone for an oil change and tire rotation every other month, and they have not attempted to rip me off. On any given day, this shop has about 40 cars lined up for service, a good number of them are from the local Hertz and Enterprise.

Well in Miami and Fort Lauderdale and would say 99% are going to rip you off big time...I never ever hear anyone say anything good about any of them except Sears which seems reasonably honest...They don't seem sabotage the car while its on the rack like the others from what I hear but they always find other work they want to with it while its on the rack...If I broke down down right in front of a Tire Place I would have it towed it eleswhere.

Its takes a very long time to find a honest shop in the Maimi-Fort Lauderdale.

As far as Hertz and Enterprise using those places>their cars are relatively new and low mileage plus they don't want to lose them as customers for their oil changes so they won't treat them like a private person coming off the street.

The line I always hear down here that the Tire Shops use [mostly women] is "You Barely Just Made it Here"..Mind you they just came in for a oil change and the car was doing just fine when they came in..They end up leaving at the end of the day 1200 bucks poorer..It never fails...At least down here in the jungle.

I did [after 6 years and talking to a ton of people] find a small repair shop that is honest..But he only does small things like oil changes..He never comes up with more work..It is next to impossible to find a shop like that here.

Florida has the distinctions of being a swamp that was converted to a senior citizen habitat. That gives you seniors with retirement money ..and former swamp dwellers to provide the services.

Not the ideal combination.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Florida has the distinctions of being a swamp that was converted to a senior citizen habitat. That gives you seniors with retirement money ..and former swamp dwellers to provide the services.

Seniors is there #1 target without a doubt for ripoffs...Before I moved down here my Mother was ripped off all the time...If I owned a gun I would be in jail right now for what some of these guys did to her..

A senior neighbor [90 years old] of mine went to a local Firestone to have his tail light fixed...He came back 6 hours later with a 900 buck bill..They claim they had re-wire the electical system in his 6 year old Buick...Since that day his car has had a ton of electrical gremlins...He admits he was hosed big time...Since then that Firestone has gone out of buisness..Its not just Firestone its the bulk of them.

This goes on every single day of the week...When the snow birds come all those rip-off places have a field day.

Bottom line down here age dosen't mattter...My neighbors of all ages 18-99 all have been hosed down here at one time or another.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I love that quote!

ripoff. nothing wrong with bulk shell oil but it costs ~$2 a quart for non-bulk so.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back