RIP Charlie Munger

He and Warren Buffet, two of the best. Always insightful gentlemen not like the financial reporters on tv today. I had some Berkshire Hathaway stock later and a few Hathaway dress shirts too long time ago that I inherited from an uncle when he passed away. They were monogramed but guys at school thought they were cool.

Last edited:
Heard he had it hard when his 9 year old son died of an illness. At least they're reunited.

Hard to feel bad for the bastid that stole so many pensions from working folk over the years. One down and one to go and yes I did work for the B-H conglomerate.

OK. Found that Munger Hall (aka Dormzilla) at UCSB was cancelled and he withdrew his $200 million pledge, which wouldn’t have paid for the whole thing anyways.

The Dormzilla is, interesting. This is the kind of housing that would shout "there goes the neighborhood" and probably add single digit to suicide rate among student body (punt intended).

Outside of that I think there are quite a few things I learn from Munger and Buffett that mainstream "bloggers" and "medias" wouldn't dare to say. The fact that there are so many uncertainty in investing and people are there to scam you with all sorts of data / analysis so you place the bet and they play the house, means if you can avoid the worst you automatically have a better chance than the market. It is in the "Why We Will Never Buy Nike Stock" video

Of course there are other stuff he didn't tell us like how he and Warren continue to stay in merger year after year to postpone tax and how that compound their investment for a much longer period of time than the market, also contributes to their rises as well.

Reactions: GON
Hard to feel bad for the bastid that stole so many pensions from working folk over the years. One down and one to go and yes I did work for the B-H conglomerate.
They all did that. Early days of Warren Buffett is no difference than what Carl Icahn is doing today. They buy companies, take them apart, sell the bad part, load up debt to the good part and then sell it, and then after the sales they start going downhill. They are no saints obviously and they are probably the extreme opposite of Elon Musk.

Unfortunately, someone would do that if the market is not in balance. Even in the communism nations there will be smugglers, and even in the Vatican they need bankers, and even "non profit" hospitals would sue you into bankruptcy if you don't have health insurance but have a house.

I never understood why so many people think Buffett and Munger were saints. They were not. Behind all their financial success, they laughed and called other people stupid and other insults many times. They were shrewd enough to wrap in folksy humor and the adoring public bought it all up. I don't hate them or anything, I definitely admire their success, but they are no better or worse than other Wall Street titans. Also keep in mind they had a huge head start that 99% of the public does not have.

I used to work for a company Berkshire bought. We were not torn apart or any portions sold off. Instead, they prompted management to seek out competitors to buy, whowe acquisition BRK would fund, to increase market and pricing power. I know they were always looking for bargains, but more to prop up vs tear apart. Of course, sometimes execs of those companies wanted to cash out, and possible employees who had sweet deals (like my own vacation flexibility) might not have liked things being “tightened up.” I was mid-IT-management, and appreciated meeting similar people from other affiliates to bounce ideas and solutions off of. I know my sr exec boss grumbled because his mega bonuses were cut back, but he definitely did OK by my standards even after. I never met Charlie, but admit I was a bit dazzled by Warren. I look back though, and realize I didn’t shop around for better opportunities enough, and had the notion it could be career-limiting to shop around within other Berkshire affiliates…word would get around. I don’t think I ever saw a star at one affiliate get hired by another….and given how many firms BRK owns, that was a bit limiting. But my limits were probably self-imposed; I had bounced around prior to working for that company, and at middle age, I chose safety (plus some incredible vacation flexibility I didn’t want to lose in search of more dollars).

OK. Found that Munger Hall (aka Dormzilla) at UCSB was cancelled and he withdrew his $200 million pledge, which wouldn’t have paid for the whole thing anyways.

So glad that got shot down. Its bad enough that UCSB is intruding into my neighborhood. But the new thing is to put in all this housing with no parking. They tell the students to park in the "surrounding area" and we will welcome them...

Back