Ring job on a kohler engine

I have a really great kubota 16 horse lawn tractor. 21 years old , I keep it in great shape, runs and works like new.
The Kohler engine is burning a little oil and starting to get worse.
What ballpark $ would a quality ring job set me back? At an independent shop. And what else should be checked while in there. It's 1 cylinder.
A repower kohler engine is about $800 $900. Which I could swap out myself.

I assume it's a single cylinder Kohler command?

It's hard to say on the cost of a rebuild. If the engine has lots of hours on it, it may have worn bearings and valvetrain as well.

Repower it.

I have a 54” deck Craftsman lawn and garden tractor that had a damaged Koehler Courage 26 hp v twin. My mom owned it but replaced it with a smaller Cub Cadet. Works out for her since the Cub is smaller, easier to handle and is more comfortable and reliable for what she does. The Craftsman is a big old beast even though it’s only 15 years old.

I installed a Predator v twin vertical shaft in it that I had put off doing for a couple of years. It slotted right in, changed a couple of the wiring connections and it works great! I use it now and I added a couple of gauges to its dashboard for fuel and voltage. It’s like it was when new. I recommend the Predator engine, except the vertical shaft version isn’t offered any more. Horizontal shaft is still sold though.

I might look at the old Koehler engine and see if it’s failure is something I can fix. Two small engine shops couldn’t correct it for some reason. 🤷‍♂️

I have a really great kubota 16 horse lawn tractor. 21 years old , I keep it in great shape, runs and works like new.
What ballpark $ would a quality ring job set me back? At an independent shop. And what else should be checked while in there. It's 1 cylinder.
You will save a lot doing it yourself. If you have to pay someone to do it, by the time you figure parts, shop labor and pick and delivery, you will be approaching the replacement cost for a new engine. Shop rates will be over $100/hour. You have no idea what condition the cylinder is in. You are atleast looking at a hone job. If the cylinder needs to be rebored if the block is iron, then you are looking at an over sized piston with matching rings. The valves should be lapped in too. It all adds up. I would repower it if you cannot do it yourself or just continue to add needed oil. You can buy a lot of oil compared to a rebuild.

When you open it up, you will find it will need more than a ring job. A rebuild kit will run you around $300.
I have an example for you. This kit may not be for your particular engine and I am using the link as an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Thanks all. I am not confident opening up the engine and diagnosing all that etc. So I'll look In to a predator or other vertical shaft option.
It looks like the 16 hp is no longer and option. There's an 18hp I'll make sure it fits, will that extra hp stress the rest of the machine?

Reactions: RAR
Thanks all. I am not confident opening up the engine and diagnosing all that etc. So I'll look In to a predator or other vertical shaft option.
It looks like the 16 hp is no longer and option. There's an 18hp I'll make sure it fits, will that extra hp stress the rest of the machine?
The 18hp should fit without an issue, but it would help if you gave us the model of the tractor and engine so we have more info.

If you do rebuild it at that age, please do yourself a favor and replace the exhaust valve with a stellite version. It can handle the ethanol gas.

No problems with extra HP.

Before plunking down a chunk of money for a rebuild or new engine, you might investigate why the engine is burning oil. It could be something as simple as a gummed up oil control ring on the piston. Go to E46 Fanatics and search for threads on DSMO. This stuff works well. Also, try a different oil to see if the oil consumption rate decreases.

Think I would leave it as is and try some 15-40 or 15-50 oil in it. If it has good compression still, it isn't worth it to open up a motor that gets 40 or 50 hours a year use.

Think I would leave it as is and try some 15-40 or 15-50 oil in it. If it has good compression still, it isn't worth it to open up a motor that gets 40 or 50 hours a year use.

I will send all the moel numbers and ser # when I get a chance
20230517_110739.jpg20230517_110709.jpg

Maybe sell the thing while it's only using a little oil and get something newer?
Not in my " religion" they don't make them like this anymore. A new one is over $7000. I can have this perfect for a lot less.

Ok so good news. The command pro engine CV15s is a very good engine. I would read the service manual and find out how to remove the cylinder head, and have it rebuilt. I would bet that 1 of three things has happend:

1.) Head gasket has blown in between the cylinder and push rod cavity. Very rare on that model and you can diagnose this by pulling the dipstick while running. If ex gasses are shooting out then you know. Again very rare, more common on briggs intek.

2.) If the engine has valve guide seals, they have most likely failed.

3.) If the engine does not have valve guide seals, the guides themselves have worn and is now allowing oil to be sucked down the stems. Very easy to spot.

I don't beleive the command series engines have oil burning issues at the rings unless they have breathed unfiltered air for a while. They usually can make it 2500 to 3000 hours. Its very common to see them with 700 to 1500 hrs and they run like brand new.

The advantage to an overhaul is that everything fits properly. The crankshaft output size (shaft size), throttle cable, the choke cable, the muffler, the wiring, etc.

Sometimes a re-power is a great idea. But make sure you know everything will work first.

If it were mine, I'd do some troubleshooting before tearing into it.

Okay that does sound like good newws I'll print this off and show it to the shop when I take it in. Im thinking Ill try the haevevier oil til the season is over and take it in in the winter. Thanks everyone!

Okay that does sound like good newws I'll print this off and show it to the shop when I take it in. Im thinking Ill try the haevevier oil til the season is over and take it in in the winter. Thanks everyone!
Yes, definitely try a heavier oil. A 15W40 Diesel oil or 20W50. Some would say 15W50 Mobil 1. I wouldn’t use that if it’s burning a good bit of oil. That stuff is too expensive to be fogging the neighborhood.

Back