Kohler vertical 15 hp burning some oil...

My kohler engine in my kubota lawn tractor is burning oil. It's 20 yrs old this summer. Bought it new i run it about 6 or 7 hours a month. Just this season the burning started. It uses about 4 ozs per month, should I be concerned?
Is the an oil equivalent to high mileage oil for small engines?

As long as you keep an eye on the level and don't run it low/out, I wouldn't be concerned about that level of oil use. If you determine it's leaking from somewhere you could try a high-mileage oil in, say, a 10w40. This should work in a similar fashion to how they work in cars.

And if you don't see any leaks, why not try something like a 15w40? It shouldn't see any particularly cold starts if it's used in the summer (and if you use it in the winter, you could always switch to a lighter oil). That's what I'd run were it mine.

I may be worn rings or valve guides, but it could also be a crankcase sealing/breather problem. Is the power good? Do the plugs look dirty and fouled? Command or Courage?

4 oz. in less than 10 hours sounds excessive to me but, as has already been stated keep it filled and it will probably last for years to come. Back in the early 90's I had an old work car that used/leaked a quart about every 300-400 miles. I finally quit changing oil in it and started topping off with oil I drained out of my better cars at OC. When I sold the car it had been over 31K miles since it's last oil change, had been getting a steady diet of used oil and there was no knocking in the engine. The guy that bought it from me drove it another year or two before scrapping it because it wouldn't pass emissions testing that was put in effect in that area.

My kohler engine in my kubota lawn tractor is burning oil. It's 20 yrs old this summer. Bought it new i run it about 6 or 7 hours a month. Just this season the burning started. It uses about 4 ozs per month, should I be concerned?
Is the an oil equivalent to high mileage oil for small engines?
You could spend a sizable amount of money to overhaul your 20 year old Kohler or spend a few dollars every few months during the mowing season for a quart of oil. As long as the plugs are not fouling, I would just keep the oil level up and run it. High mileage oil is not going to add metal back onto engine parts where it has worn off. A thicker oil will help with consumption.

I suspect it is worn valve guide seals. Not a big deal to replace. 2 will cost less than 10 bucks. A compression test will help determine if the rings are worn or not. If this is not an option then pop off the valve cover and give it a look. I'm willing to bet that the "rubber" guide seals are hard and cracked, maybe even broke into pieces, and likely the source of the issue. That happens on older engines. If it does need rings that is not a hard thing to do.. Look at it this way, If you like the mower then you can rering that engine for around 100-150 bucks or maybe 200 if you install a new piston. Use genuine Kohler parts only.

Try some Restore

restore.jpg

8 months X 6.5 hours x 20 years= ~ 1,000 hours. 4 oz per 6 hours doesn't sound too afully bad. Live with it and add only when it gets to the add line. Some oil splash engines have most of the oil usage during full to 1/2 and little from the 1/2 to the add mark. Just my observations. Ed

I may be worn rings or valve guides, but it could also be a crankcase sealing/breather problem. Is the power good? Do the plugs look dirty and fouled? Command or Courage?
Its a command, it has lots of power. I changed the plug at beginning of the season. The old plug didn't look oil fowled. No external leaks.

8 months X 6.5 hours x 20 years= ~ 1,000 hours. 4 oz per 6 hours doesn't sound too afully bad. Live with it and add only when it gets to the add line. Some oil splash engines have most of the oil usage during full to 1/2 and little from the 1/2 to the add mark. Just my observations. Ed
Okay sounds like a plan. I might overhaul it this winter.

Back