Right to bear arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
my favorite:

In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant. - by Gaulle, Charles De.

(Geez, I hope I don't get another vacation....honest, I only cut-n-pasted and I didn't mean to say "my favorite:" out loud......) I don't like politicians, er, I mean, ummm, I meant to say I don't like politicians.(stop typing dude...you're embarrassing yourself) What I mean is I don't like POLITICS. That's it, that's what I meant! (the others fit as well)

Last edited:
"The consent of the governed" is easier to obtain when you take their means of self defense away. If the FIVE MILLION good ole Joe Stalin slaughtered before WWII could ONLY talk.

That is exactly right....all of the "great" leaders of their time disarmed the masses BEFORE continuing with their true agenda...Stalin, Hitler, Hussein....and now.............

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
That is exactly right....all of the "great" leaders of their time disarmed the masses BEFORE continuing with their true agenda...Stalin, Hitler, Hussein....and now.............

I guess the Nazi gun control thing is a complete myth.

In '38, Nazi German actually loosened gun laws. They brought the age of ownership down from 21 to 18, and they cut out all regulations on firearms - except handguns - and ammunition.

that's true to an extent....Hitler was forming a youth militia and was hoping that the militia would guard the Fatherland while the battle-hardened, seasoned troops continued conquering more and more countries. And, near the end, Hitler didn't fear his enemies as much as he feared his own army, particularly his cabinet officers.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

In '38, Nazi German actually loosened gun laws. They brought the age of ownership down from 21 to 18, and they cut out all regulations on firearms - except handguns - and ammunition.

And what about the part where they confiscated guns from the Jews?

“Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to turn them over to the local police authority. Firearms and ammunition found in a Jew’s possession will be forfeited to the government without compensation. Whoever willfully or negligently violates the provisions will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.” - Nazi Law (Regulations Against Jews’ Possession of Weapons), 1938

This is a quotation from the link at the start of the thread.

Last edited:

Have a link for that?

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Have a link for that?

Wikipedia Link

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

And what about the part where they confiscated guns from the Jews?

“Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to turn them over to the local police authority. Firearms and ammunition found in a Jew’s possession will be forfeited to the government without compensation. Whoever willfully or negligently violates the provisions will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.” - Nazi Law (Regulations Against Jews’ Possession of Weapons), 1938

This is a quotation from the link at the start of the thread.

The Nuremberg Laws were adopted in 1935.

Hitler was smart in that he used the EXISTING Weimar laws to keep guns out of the hands of everyday Germans for 5 years while he systematically created a police state with a concentration camp system. He also stripped Jews and foreigners of almost all their rights with the Civil Service and Nuremberg Laws. So yes....he loosened restrictions once he had subdued his enemies.

However, many high up in the NSDAP were for taking away the rights of all Germans to own guns unless they were loyal members of the party, in the SA or SS, or in the military.

If you had lived in other places that didn't have such a mythological investment in guns and a gun culture, and realized that they were actually safe, open societies, I don't think that you would try to argue such things.

No doubt that some places that restrict guns are tyrannical. But it doesn't follow that places that have stricter gun laws, like Britain, or many other places, are on a path to tyranny.

It's not a logical argument.

Originally Posted By: ET16
If you had lived in other places that didn't have such a mythological investment in guns and a gun culture, and realized that they were actually safe, open societies, I don't think that you would try to argue such things.

No doubt that some places that restrict guns are tyrannical. But it doesn't follow that places that have stricter gun laws, like Britain, or many other places, are on a path to tyranny.

It's not a logical argument.

I submit to you that places like Britain already are tyrannical. You can do serious jail time simply for having a pocket knife.

big_brother_f.jpg

So do you consider that a free state?

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Hitler was smart in that he used the EXISTING Weimar laws to keep guns out of the hands of everyday Germans for 5 years while he systematically created a police state with a concentration camp system. He also stripped Jews and foreigners of almost all their rights with the Civil Service and Nuremberg Laws. So yes....he loosened restrictions once he had subdued his enemies.

However, many high up in the NSDAP were for taking away the rights of all Germans to own guns unless they were loyal members of the party, in the SA or SS, or in the military.

01.gif
It's amazing that people think the rule of law would matter all that much anyway.

"But the law in Germany said" ...in regards to the Nazi's....
crazy.gif

The UK is not really that safe of a place. Plenty of violent crime. And it may not be tyrannical, but it is certainly looking like some sort of Orwellian dystopia.

The strict gun control of the Weimar Republic ended in 1928. Hitler came to power in 1933.

I am just trying to clear up a misconception.

The strict gun control of the Weimar Republic ended in 1928. Hitler came to power in 1933.

I am just trying to clear up a misconception.

No misconception in my post. The HARSH HARSH HARSH confiscation laws imposed under the 1919 to 1928 period ended that year. Hitler came in in 1933, passed the Enabling Act, and did not make any proactive attempts to loosen the existing regulations of the Weimar government until he had established a police state with concentration camps and effectively disenfranchised foreigners, Jews, and the opposition of their rights through various other acts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Germany

Last edited:
The UK is not really that safe of a place. Plenty of violent crime. And it may not be tyrannical, but it is certainly looking like some sort of Orwellian dystopia.

After living in both London and Chicago, I can say that I felt MUCH safer in London.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back