Ridiculous idea from Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lexus is experimenting with no haggle car and parts pricing and dealers will be expected to let customers walk away if they won't go along with it. I think a LOT of customers will walk away.

I don't see this working out well for them. We have some dealers around here who do this on their own and they sell very few cars. They show a slightly reduced price vs the sticker and won't go a cent below it even though many buyers know there is a lot of wiggle room to go.

News Story Link

Last edited:
They should also refuse to let customers leave the dealership until they buy a car...what could go wrong with that???
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Saturn all over, again.

Maybe people should feel honored that they would be allowed to purchase a over priced Toyota with leather. After all, if people don't see what car you drive how can they know how important you are.

I am amazed that in 2015, the "car sales model" still exists at all. You never really know if you made a good deal (too many backdoors) and every other retail market has a real price on the item such that you do not have to guess. Buying new cars with the "dealer experience " really sucks. I predict Lexus will go the way of the dodo and Saturn.

On the other hand, we have a Ford dealer nearby (Mullinax) that is a one price dealer, and he does very very well with it.

Also at my Penfield NY location, there is a woman who ownes a Subaru and a Ford dealership (VanBortel) who also does very well. I think she is the
largest Subaru dealership in NYS and one of the largest in the country. Her father had a Chevrolet dealership many many years ago in Newark NY and Kitty VanBortel learned from him.

I think one price dealerships are GREAT.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Saturn style pricing again. Look what happened to Saturn!

Saturn did very well in the beginning, it wasn't the pricing that did them in, it was lack of investment in new models that put them under.

I don't think it was no haggle which killdr Saturn. remember, GM was involved. This might just work. People who tramp into a Lexus dealer have already given notice that they will spend extra dough for the "premium" stuff and a high end Camry or Avalon just won't do at the Kountry Klub. That attitude can be exploited. It doesn't work as well at all with those who don't care WHAT the brand is. "Wheels and seats" my dad used to say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Saturn did very well in the beginning, it wasn't the pricing that did them in, it was lack of investment in new models that put them under.
+1

Originally Posted By: horse123
You don't generally haggle over luxury cars, they cost what they cost, get over it.

We settled for $7800 (16%) off msrp on our current Lexus (our 4th).

I've been a Lexus buyer for many years and won't be if they go no haggle.
I'm probably leaving Lexus anyway.
At this point I'm not a fan of the new designs.Especially the massive grills.

Isn't CarMax one of the biggest sellers of used cars in the country with this business model? It certainly looks like it's working for them!

Saturn went out of business because GM threw them under the bus.

Last edited:
But Lexus just sell themselves, dont they?

I walked from CarMax when I felt their cars were overpriced. Question is, is theno haggle price on par and competitive with the deals from other makers, or is it just stupid?

You don't generally haggle over luxury cars, they cost what they cost, get over it.

You have a connection with a luxury car manufacturer or dealership I take it?
crackmeup2.gif
crazy2.gif

When was the last time you bought a luxury car? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back