Ribeye for dinner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now this is how dinner is done
smile.gif

Ribeye with brown sugar, soul seasoning, Cajun seasoning with a bit of kick and Lea and Perrin's added to it while it cooked. Started off on direct heat over Kingsford competition charcoal briquettes. After searing both sides well moved to indirect heat to slow cook.
Now when I smoke my spiral ham in a couple of days I will take pics of it. This was 9.25 out of 10.

I'm on way there with moms cornbread/sausage and "crowd pleasure green beans with bacon" and some spiral smoked ham son. What kinda beer you drink? Great job there captain

smile.gif

that looks really good! I was headed your way with some apple pie, but my motorhome broke down and I cant get Chris to answer the phone or send his tow truck.....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that looks really good! I was headed your way with some apple pie, but my motorhome broke down and I cant get Chris to answer the phone or send his tow truck.....

crackmeup2.gif

Obviously you disagree, but in my kitchen / grill, it's Salt, Pepper, Heat.

Anything else added, in my opinion, is for people who don't like the taste of Beef or are somehow forced to use a Steak of a grade not suitable for grilling (at least USDA Choice / Canada AAA, if not USDA Prime / Canada Prime). Plus, a proper Steak is always Bone-In.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Anything else added, in my opinion, is for people who don't like the taste of Beef or are somehow forced to use a Steak of a grade not suitable for grilling (at least USDA Choice / Canada AAA, if not USDA Prime / Canada Prime). Plus, a proper Steak is always Bone-In.

Lots of differing opinions indeed. I love talking food though.

Bone in means you paid $xx.xx per pound/ kilogram for bone. I agree it adds flavor, but to me it's a waste of $$$.

Generally I'd agree with you on the seasoning. If I go out and order a steak (which I hardly do), I wan't it season free for the reasons you mentioned. To me, it's almost like they are hiding something.. In the US, our box store "steak houses" can't cook a good steak. If you find a local hidden gem or go to the larger cities, they have some great places, but in the city, you'll walk out spending well over $100. I was at one in Indianapolis and I was afraid they were going to shame me when I asked for sauce. The waiter was really cool about it and said with what you are paying, Ill get you anything you want.

Best steaks to date I've ever made with our new grille was some bone-less ribeyes. Got the charcoal up to around 500*F (260*C) and cooked them 4 minutes per side. The outside was seared and the inside was medium rare. I did use a little steak seasoning though.

Yeah Johnny we greatly disagree. But that all right. Yin and yang so to speak. My steak was USDA grade A choice. Not food stamp steak... I know my steak quality. Top choice is most higher end beef available to a vast majority of stores. The Martin's near me does sell USDA Prime grade A beef steaks. Only 2% of beef sold in the US is graded Prime. I was shocked to see that available in a store. Especially that Martin's. Harris Teeter sells top choice beef USDA grade A for sure. But these ribeyes I got looked more like grade A top choice in terms of marbling.

As for seasonings... well... it's a matter of what one likes or not. I like some phizzaazz. The organic brown sugar adds a lot and the soul seasoning adds a quality that's very unique. The touch of spice and just a bit of kick. Ive cooked steaks for MANY people over the years. And the strong majority have all said some of the best steak they've ever had is one I have cooked for them. That's no lie. Gospel truth. I always tell them that I'd have to win the lottery in order to open a restaurant up. Because they have said that to me in many instances. Candidly it has surprised me a bit. I really enjoy making good food for my friends and family. It is an honor really for me.

I made smoked beef ribs one time with just salt and pepper one time. I was not real happy with the results. And yes it was with USDA grade A choice beef. Well the next time I made it in a similar fashion as the steak I usually make. And for me it was WAY better the second time.

But, we are all different in what we all like at the end of the day. Ain't nothing wrong with a a more simple method at all. I will say that a steak cooked over a charcoal fire and just a small piece of hickory wood added in would be quite good with simple salt and pepper. I can see that working well too. Tell ya what Johnny... if someone likes simple I would gladly do it that for them too. So, I raise my glass to simplicity too!

I bet you would like a spiral ham smoked on a charcoal fire with hickory wood added. Simple yet very good. I would not make my glaze for your portion. And we would both be happy and eat doggone good too.

Our local locker had ribeyes this summer for $4.50/pound. Grass/pasture raised local beef-none of the box store, frozen once, who knows where it was raised garbage. Grilled up so tender you didn't need a knife or any seasoning.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

My Uncle was a steak man and always treated his guest, he used butter, salt and pepper if you put anything else on your steak while eating it he would cook the nicest Hamburg for you the next time you were over! never steak again for you!
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Not food stamp steak...

Actually Grade A USDA steak can be bought with food stamps.
smile.gif

Combined with Cheetos, lobster tail, candy, ice, chewing gum etc. Not to mention people buying cheap meat and rice for their large dogs.

*Used to work in a grocery store. Saw it all the time.

Last edited:
Ahh that's a valid point. I used to work in a grocery store too. And yes I remember seeing that as well. Good point. I worked through high school at a local store, then Winn Dixie, Food Lion, Hannaford.

If I am not wrong the hierarchy goes
USDA Prime
USDA Top Choice Grade A
USDA Choice Grade A
USDA Grade B
And I forget what's under these classifications

Stores local to me are Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Farm Fresh, Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Martin's. Only Martin's sells Prime steaks. Ribeyes that are Prime sell from $22-30 per steak. The others sell Top Choice USDA grade A as their highest end steaks.
I would say that I have certainly seen steaks that were graded USDA grade A choice that easily could be graded top choice grade A. I have seen some Top Choice USDA grade A steaks that weren't too far off from being graded Prime. But, I have to say out of the Prime graded steaks I have seen none of them could have been "downgraded to USDA Top Choice Grade A. There was a difference with them for sure. But worth $22-30 per steak... I don't know. I have cooked one of them and it was very good. But I'm not sure it was worth the much higher price. I will make another one before too long just because it would interesting to see how it goes.

My ribeye recipe on the grill. I place the ribeye in a baggie with some fresh squeezed lemon juice,olive oil,sat,and pepper. Put it in the fridge for a few hours. Light the charcoal. Once it's ready,place the ribeye on the grill,basting it with melted butter (real butter,never margarine) periodically,and sprinkling on a little salt and pepper. Ribeye literally falls to pieces swimming in it's now natural juices,YUM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back