RhinoRamps Storage & Minimum Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the oil in my fiance's car tomorrow, but it will be too cold to use my floor jack. I was looking at a set of RhinoRamps, but am slightly concerned about using them when the ambient temperature in the garage will be about 15. I have a set of wheel chocks that caution about them getting brittle in extremely cold and dry weather and even specify a replacement date.

Does anyone know the operating and storage conditions specified by Blitz on the ramps?

Last edited:
VERY GOOD QUESTION. I don't have the answer but this is what I'd do, Call Blitz USA Inc. at 877-922-5489 and ask. If you do please post the info as I would assume there alot of users of Rhino ramps here.

Last edited:
You could store them inside over night to warm them up, then use them right away. By the time they get really cold you will be done...
wink.gif

How/why can it be too cold to use a floor jack? What happens with it in cold temperatures? Is the hydraulic oil in it too thick to flow or something? And it gets so cold there that Rhino Ramps will shatter?? I live in Florida so I have no clue but I am really curious about that.

Plastic can get very brittle when cold and is very easy to break. (Rhino-Ramps). Not sure if this would happen with these because I don't own a set, but I know if you use any plastic in the cold from a warm state you have some time before it gets brittle. (Such as time to change your oil).

As for the jack, I use my hydraulic floor jack in the winter at -30oC and it works fine... Not sure why this gentlemen doesn't want to use it, but operationally it's fine.

grin2.gif

yeah, I used my hein-warner jack the other day and it was frigid. no issues, but the metal was VERY cold...

Could always make something out of 2x10s well-nailed together... or try to position on a driveway apron and do it with the wheels on the ground.

Call me paranoid, but when i use my ramps with the wheel chocks I also squeeze jackstands under the frame of the car just in case.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
How/why can it be too cold to use a floor jack? What happens with it in cold temperatures? Is the hydraulic oil in it too thick to flow or something?

I've had a seal break on another floor jack that had been in the cold too long and I tried to use it. The vehicle got about 2 inches high, then POP! Anyway, I don't want to break my floor jack. I like it too much.

That's not paranoia, it's very good idea to ensure your own safety. There was a guy who lived near here who got killed a few weeks ago when the car he where he was working underneath fell on him. It was only supported only by a jack.

I looked at the Rhino Ramp web site and was unable to find any specifications. They mention a "foam core" design. This implies a sandwich of plastic outer skins surrounded by foam. Brittle behavior would be dangerous as this design depends on the skin of plastic remaining secure and bonded to foam.

Best to be safe and use jackstands as emergency backup even if you go up on the Rhino Ramps.

good luck

Originally Posted By: TexasHonda
I looked at the Rhino Ramp web site and was unable to find any specifications. They mention a "foam core" design. This implies a sandwich of plastic outer skins surrounded by foam. Brittle behavior would be dangerous as this design depends on the skin of plastic remaining secure and bonded to foam.

Best to be safe and use jackstands as emergency backup even if you go up on the Rhino Ramps.

good luck

I always use a back-up. I'll engage the parking brake and have wood blocks for the rear wheels. I have 4 jack stands that I plan to use under the subframe up front and the front rocker panels too. The dual jack stand set-up is something I normally use anyway.

I called them since I just bought a set. I've always used a floor jack and stands. Anyway they pass all required safety tests from 0*F-140*F. As long as you are working within those temperatures you will be fine, according to them. As always use caution when working under a car. Wheel chocks are a must!

Frank D

I have a set of Rhino Ramps and will sometimes use them but now I have a really good floor jack and 2 pairs of 3-ton jack stands. I like to use the jack stands instead of ramps so I can raise my truck higher and have more room to work.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I called them since I just bought a set. I've always used a floor jack and stands. Anyway they pass all required safety tests from 0*F-140*F. As long as you are working within those temperatures you will be fine, according to them. As always use caution when working under a car. Wheel chocks are a must!

Frank D

I also called them and got the same response. Since my garage was at 13F when I changed the oil, I put my jack stands underneath just in case along with wheel chocks in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back