Reviving stored engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been given a 1980 Rinker with an OMC I/O 140hp 4 cylinder engine. It has not been used for 4 years. What do I need to do before I try to start it? Gas was drained, and it was winterized before it was stored last. Also, what oil filters can I use on this engine. I know it is a GM block, but the oil filter on it is some off brand, I am not sure what types it will take.

Thanks for any help.

If it was properly winterized that included fogging the engine, you shouldn't have much to do or worry about. Not really familiar with that particular boat brand, but if you really wanted to be safe, pop the plugs off and squirt some oil on the cylinders first. I believe that you have the common 3.0 GM engine. If so, then the AC Delco PH35 will fit. It's a larger filter so make sure you got some room in the engine bay to mount it. Hopefully your carb. fuel bowl was drained, if not, then the fuel would have probably evaporated and left a nice coat of varnish in it. Might want to spray that with carb. cleaner with TCE. This stuff drys instantly and not leave any residue. Check the fuel bowl and see if it has any varnish on it also. I would replace the engine oil regardless, 4 years is a long time and 4.5 quarts of oil for that engine is cheap insurance. Pour some oil in the filter also before turning it over. I would hit the kill switch, make sure you got a good strong battery, and turn the engine over a few times to get the oil moving and the cylinders good and lubed. Then try and start it. Make take a few turns to get the fuel pumped back into the carb. because this engine uses a mechanical fuel pump. Once running, make sure you got muffs on the engine or the outdrive is in the water, and watch you temperature guage. If it starts shooting up past 160-180, kill the engine, you probably have a bad impellor in the outdrive. They do dry rot. The 3.0 is Mercruisers work horse engine and can take a lot of abuse.

Don't know much about OMC, I could help you out if it were Mercruiser though. However, take hasbeen's advice too, good stuff. Might be worth your while to read some of the forums over at iboats.com I do a lot of reading on that site and everytime I look, I'm always learning something. I bet you can find out more information on your outdrive.

Schmoe has it covered, but you need to replace the water pump impeller before you even start. I guarantee the impeller has taken a set and needs replacing. You will probably need a carb rebuild also and while you are at it you might as well change the fuel pump too. I visit the Iboats forums often and am up on this type of thing being a boater myself. Drain ALL of the fuel and replace it before you even try and start it and change the lower unit oil too. Everything mentioned is a must and none of them should be overlooked. Follow the advice and you will have a great boat and trouble free.

The Waterpump on the stringer drive OMC's is in the outdrive. Get yourself a repair manual such as Clymers which will have all the diagrams you need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back