Reusable oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
Just wondering if anyone had used any of these new type reusable oil filters the ones with stainless steel mesh in them IE like the pure power pure power

I have bought one for my Kawasaki motorcycle also got some
of these dimple magnetic drain plugs magnetic drain plugs to go with it

I have blown an oil filter up on this bike once before in the middle of nowhere and when it starts the lifters are noisy for the for the first half hour till the oil seems to warm up
I have used a thinner oil no lifter noise on startup but the gear change is horrible feels like metal on metal
I use a 20W50 amsoil MC oil

someone seems to ask about them at least once a year. normally the argument that ensues boils down to this:
1) Price (For $249 I can buy a couple dozen regular filters)
2) difficulty of cleaning
3) lack of published efficiency ratings, all they say is a "nominal extraction rating of <1 Micron" which doesn't really tell you anything in a comparable way to other filters.

They are nothing more than rock catchers and have no place on anything other than race engines where oil volume being pumped is more important than longevity
For the price you can buy a couple of cases of oil filters that will catch more than just gravel

I started watching some of his videos on "black hole magnets"
29.gif
seems like a bunch of gadgets to me they reak of [censored]

Last edited:
Thanks guys but not the answer I needed
I don't care about the price of it

When I blew an oil filter in central Australia it cost 2 grand to get the bike back home

It had blown the oil filter up as soon as the oil started pouring out of it I killed the engine

with lots of different guy's with me on the ride we all looked at the bike and couldn't see where the oil was coming from rather that risk it with some bush mechanic I had it trucked home

I tried to get amsoil to come to the party as it was one of their Ea filters they didn't even reply to my letters or emails so gave up

Where I live it doesn't get very cold its the middle of winter and its 8,12 in the evening and its still 21 degrees celcious that's why I like the 20W50 amsoil

when I use the 10W40 it like smashing two metal hammer heads together when I change gears the 20W50 makes the gearbox very quiet no metal to metal sounds on gear change this bike shares engine and gearbox oil

The side effect of the 20W50 is the lifters are noisy on start-up for half an hour till the oil comes on temp
Amsoil list a 10W50 in the USA but its not here in Australia yet

I have the filter already had it for a year was just nervous about using it looks like I'll just have to risk it and get my oil analysed at 1000 k intervals so I can see what's going on
thanks for the pointers though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back