Reusable Oil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys, I'm looking for a really good oil filter, the best micron count and the highest amount of flow.

I just purchased a 99 Isuzu Trooper and as many of you know, they have issues with oil burning. I would like to get a reusable oil filter with the best micron level and the highest amount of flow.

Does anyone know anything about these guys? Seems a little pricy!
http://www.37degreefilters.com/component...=V6%203.5L%20FI

Anyone have any ideas?

I know this will not prevent the Trooper from burning oil. I would just like to add it to help my vehicle along.

Originally Posted By: 99Troopers
Anyone have any ideas?

Many, zero of which include utilizing a reusable oil filter.

Two questions:
Where in the country are you located (for purposes of knowing temperature)?
Have you done any maintenance on the engine?

Just how is this specific product going to help your vehicle ?

Hhmmmmm...you wouldn't be affiliated with that company in any way would you ?

I'm in Texas. But weather here fluctuates quite a bit. It can be 31degress and then 80. Granted, during the summer it is always very very hot.

I haven't done any maintenance on the engine yet.
I am going to start next week.

I was going to do an engine cleaner, my buddy told me to use seafoam, but i have heard different things on this. Then I am going to replace PCV valve. Then I was going to put on a high quality filter and put in some high quality oil.

Anything else I should be doing?

Last edited:
I'm in Texas. But weather here fluctuates quite a bit. It can be 31degress and then 80. Granted, during the summer it is always very very hot.

I haven't done any maintenance on the engine yet.
I am going to start next week.

I was going to do an engine cleaner, my buddy told me to use seafoam, but i have heard different things on this. Then I am going to replace PCV valve. Then I was going to put on a high quality filter and put in some high quality oil.

Anything else I should be doing?

I'd skip the engine cleaner, a good oil will do that safer and cheaper.

Okay.

What oil and oil filter should I be using on a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with 63,000 miles on it?

The trooper 3.5v6 is notorious for burning oil. I read somewhere that synthetic is better for vehicles that burn oil, but I also read that it can cause leaks.

I'm just trying to make the vehicle last as long as possible..

Okay.

What oil and oil filter should I be using on a 1999 Isuzu Trooper with 63,000 miles on it?

The trooper 3.5v6 is notorious for burning oil. I read somewhere that synthetic is better for vehicles that burn oil, but I also read that it can cause leaks.

I'm just trying to make the vehicle last as long as possible..

Don't solely focus on engine oil -- remember that your vehicle is a compilation of several sub-systems. When any of those fail (notably, the transmission or cooling), you've got a nice paperweight.

With that said, lets make this simple. Isuzu approves 15w/20w oils down to 10°F in your application, so using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 will present no issues in your climate. Expect it to get very dirty looking in short order. Don't worry, though -- it's working as intended. Couple that with a XG3593A filter and you'll be good to go.

Both the oil & filter are available at Walmart ($25 for 5qt. jug of the oil). While there, pick up four bottles of Gumout Regane High Mileage. Refill near empty, and pour two bottles into your gas tank. Run till near empty again, pour the other two bottles in, refill, and done.

Consuming oil isn't going to change with a different filter. You can reduce consumption by going with a high mileage oil or repair the damage such as plugged drain holes or stuck rings but honestly I would just add fresh oil when it's needed and keep driving it.

Consuming oil can be a good thing because adding top up oil refreshes the additives which helps you go more miles between oil changes. If you were consuming enough oil you wouldn't have to do much besides change the filter every so often.

Pennzoil conventional is an inexpensive oil with plenty of detergents for top off.

How much oil are you consuming? Anything around a quart every 1,000 miles is typical.

Try Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 with a Fram Tough Guard oil filter.

If you want to help your vehicle last longer check the transmission fluid and coolant and change them as necessary.

Re-useable oil filters with wire mesh for a filter element are nothing more than gravel traps.
They are great for engines that get torn down after every race and require as much volume as possible,but not for a daily driver.
The best wire mesh filter I ever read about filtered something like 30 micron absolute. Which means everything 29 microns and smaller is getting through and particulate that size will do damage to an engine.
Cellulose media has pores that as they trap larger particulate those pores get smaller and smaller,trapping smaller and smaller particles so the efficiency of cellulose actually increases as the filter works its magic.
Synthetic media is a bit different. The ones I've cut open have what looks to be woven with tiny strands as thin as hair for media.
This woven media would trap far more particulars than cellulose can. The woven media allows for more routes for the oil to go through and as these passages fill with particulate its easy for the oil to find another path of travel.
What this means is the synthetic woven media will allow for more volume to be filtered faster and creating less back-pressure which helps the oil pump move more oil easier.
Cellulose media filters oil through the "veins" in the media itself so that means it can't flow as much volume as the synthetic weave type filter. The difference in flow ability is significant between the 2 so its something that needs to be considered depending on the application of the engine.
With the volume a synthetic media filter allows I see no point in running a gravel trap except in the most demanding applications,and only on engines that will be getting rebuilt after the race.
Synthetic media is not very restrictive,especially when compared against cellulose and with today's 2 speed and variable speed oil pumps many engines can benefit from using the less restrictive media.
And synthetic media has so many paths of travel for filtration they can be left on significantly longer than their cellulose brethren and again they also gain efficiency as the miles rack up.

We bought a new Zetor tractor in 1992 that had wash and reuse oil filters. In fact it had two. One canister had course metal screen discs and the other one was fine mesh disc.

I washed them out with diesel when I changed the oil. It took more time but at zero cost if you did not mess up the gaskets. Those tractors lasted a life time so if they did not work I guess oil filters are not that important.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back