Reusable dry filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to find a reusable/cleanable air filter for my 1989 Corolla.
4A-F 2bbl engine

I don't want to mess with oil refill kits, so no K&N, Amsoil kicks back a Wix number, If I wanted to but Wix I would buy it locally,lol.

Any suggestions?

Jabe

Originally Posted By: EAGLE777
AFE kicked out the wrong AF,the AF they give is for a fuel injected Corolla, mine is a 2bbl.

It looks like this:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetai...e=2&PTSet=A

Can't use AFE if they can't give me the correct part,lol

Other suggestions?

Jabe

AFE doesn't sell it.
AEM doesn't sell Cold Air Intake for my generation Corolla.
I doesn't look like AEM sells drop in OEM replacements.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Try Donaldson then?

No luck there either.

There has to somebody that makes an OEM drop in reusable/washable AF that doesn't need/use oil.

K&N is the only one I found with a drop in reusable replacement, but like I said in my first post. I don't want to go with a AF that uses oil recharge kit.

May have to stick with paper filter (sigh).

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Make your own short ram intake and stick an AEM dryflow cone on it, maybe w/ a water resistant prefilter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chambers

Make your own short ram intake and stick an AEM dryflow cone on it, maybe w/ a water resistant prefilter.

Thinking about that already, need the right materials though.
Wouldn't be short ram, cause it would get too hot, needs to be CAI.
What material would you use?

Doesn't Fram have a washable out now? I don't know if it is an oiled type or not.
Could always go back to good old paper. (Heck, I oil my paper ones a little anyway.)

I want a washable/reusable AF because I'm tired of spending $15-$25 on paper filters. There got to be a better way. If you know of one maybe you can enlighten all of us.

If I could find a reusable oil filter I would do that too.

Does that answer your question Steve?

I like being thrifty.

Originally Posted By: chambers

Thinking about that already, need the right materials though.
Wouldn't be short ram, cause it would get too hot, needs to be CAI.
What material would you use?

You can use pvc pipe from lowes/home depot and fab it up w/ some elbows and make a bracket for the filter end if you think heat soak will be an issue. Spectre has make your own CAI kits w/ pieces of aluminum pipe I think and couplers. Honestly heat soak is really not an issue unless you're sitting idling for a long period of time. Once the car is moving there should be plenty of air moving under the hood and the speed the air moves through the pipe doesn't allow it to get much if any heat from the metal.

I want a washable/reusable AF because I'm tired of spending $15-$25 on paper filters. There got to be a better way. If you know of one maybe you can enlighten all of us.

I like being thrifty.

Is the for your Toyota Corolla Wagon? Papaer filters got you over 200K...why change now?

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

I like being thrifty.

Is the for your Toyota Corolla Wagon? Papaer filters got you over 200K...why change now?

At least 2 reasons:

1. The paper filters on my Corolla Wagon are an odd design, and are getting harder to find. Plus the price keeps going UP,UP,UP.

2. Trying to go GREEN where I can. Paper throw away filters aren't very good for the envroment. If every one would change to a reusable filter of some kind, think of all filters we would keep out of our landfills.

If I think of anymore reasons I will let you know.

P.S. Did you get the thrifty part in my quote above?

Jabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back