Retirement 2.0

Today is day one of my second go at retirement. I retired last June, and went back to my former employer last November again, after a few months off. I really enjoyed the few summer months off, but thought I might get bored in the winter since my wife is still working, so I went back. We were able to help our youngest daughter financially, which was nice to be able to do without using retirement savings. I was young once too and getting on my feet.
Last winter it was nice to be with people I've worked with for decades, but I'm glad to be done again. I'm not sure if I want to go back this fall, although the offer stands. I was enthusiastic for the first few months last winter, but found I was quickly running out of patience for dealing with hassles that were beyond what I had planned for the day. I can make up my mind this fall.
My wife might work one more year, she's not sure yet. I tell her our years of good health are not guaranteed, that there's more to life than work. Anyway, I've got lots of ideas for this coming winter, and quite happy to start on the house and yard 'to do' list today.

..but thought I might get bored ...
This is NOT directed at you, carviewsonic, but it always boggles my mind when I hear someone say they got bored and returned to work. My cousin did just that. I retired 4 years ago and have been full throttle since. There will be undone/unfinished projects and other adventures when my body is cold in the ground.

Yes, that will be important to us. We've done a little (but not much) over the years, as work and family commitments allowed. Hopefully a winter getaway each year to anywhere that is safe, warm and green for a few weeks. Saw a bit of Italy a few years ago, and we really want to go back and spend some time there.

Last edited:
This is NOT directed at you, carviewsonic, but it always boggles my mind when I hear someone say they got bored and returned to work. My cousin did just that. I retired 4 years ago and have been full throttle since. There will be undone/unfinished projects and other adventures when my body is cold in the ground.
All I can say in my defence is "winter in Alberta" 😀. But this winter, even if my wife is still working, I have tentative plans to go on a trip with my son, see friends in Arizona (and rent a Harley for a few days while I'm there), and see our daughter who has recently moved to the Philippines.

Saw a bit of Italy a few years ago, and we really want to go back a spend some time there.
We rented a house in rural France a decade ago. I was working at the time so we only got to stay for 2 weeks.

I asked my wife afterwards how she would sum up our vacation. She said it was "really comfortable". We speak very bad French and no-one in the area spoke any English at all but we were getting by. The locals found some of our expressions really funny but they were also happy to tell us what we should have said instead (for example you want to buy a few slices of ham, not a few slabs). We were getting to know the merchants in the markets, knew where we could buy a fresh baguette every day of the week, knew where to buy very good wine at a reasonable cost, etc.

Now that I'm retired I'd rent that place for 2 months and just live.

My dad worked PT until the day he passed last fall at age 78.
My stepfather who also passed last fall went back to work PT because he enjoyed making rather than spending $$.
My grandfather continued to work into his 70's and passed a year or so after he was medically disqualified.
I don't ever plan to willingly retire.

I retired on Dec 31 2017 and never look back...I wish everyone on this site that is retired now good luck and all those looking forward to retiring a smooth road ahead and be able to retire when YOU want to...

Congrats to anyone retiring.

I retired early because I got tired of all the back-stabbing .......... my arm was getting to sore.
Sometimes a Boss would give me a pat-on-the-back, but I think they were only looking for a soft spot to stick the knife.
Only joking.

I enjoyed my working days as a Tool & Die Maker working in aerospace and automotive.
Like life, you get out of it what you put into it.

My dad worked PT until the day he passed last fall at age 78.
My stepfather who also passed last fall went back to work PT because he enjoyed making rather than spending $$.
My grandfather continued to work into his 70's and passed a year or so after he was medically disqualified.
I don't ever plan to willingly retire.
Because all your role models continued to work so that's good enough for you?

I retired at 55 and am busier than ever with life pursuits. Have a MAJOR CRUISE (very long) planned for January of next year.

Because all your role models continued to work so that's good enough for you?

I retired at 55 and am busier than ever with life pursuits. Have a MAJOR CRUISE (very long) planned for January of next year.
Neither good nor bad. I just found it interesting that they all chose to continue working in some capacity. I anticipate doing the same unless I win the lottery but then I'd have to actually play the lottery and even then.

Back