Resurfacing Rotors

For the do it yourselfer I would say it is not worth it to have rotors machined. Reuse if in good condition and no pulsation or replace if needed. Working in a shop if I can't machine or replace the rotors when putting on new pads I'm going to tell you I'm not responsible for noises or premature pad wear.
For DIY'er, probably. I have seen rotors machined using an on-car lathe 1-2x with the same service life as new rotors. The key here is to machine the rotor properly.

For DIY'er, probably. I have seen rotors machined using an on-car lathe 1-2x with the same service life as new rotors. The key here is to machine the rotor properly.
The previous dealership I was at had the self adjusting on car brake lathe. That thing was the bee's knees.

I totally agree. There is a guy on another forum arguing that resurfacing extends the life of a rotor. From my experience, modern rotors do not last longer, or sometimes as long as pads. When the pads are gone, most likely the rotors are too.

I can see how it extends life, if you get another set of pads out of them. This probaby is viable in desert and dry climates where the rotors dont get completely rusty. Also its viable for solid discs, at least on the rear (probably wouldnt want to sacrifice the mass on fronts).

How does resurfacing rotors shorten their life? I've never had that problem and resurfaced many.

Every rotor Ive seen has a minimum thickness stamped on it. Resurfacing to a smooth surface would in theory remove more material than a pad slap. That's all I can come up with... And in that case, the rotor wasnt long for this world anyway...

For the price of replacement rotors, and the hassle of finding someone locally who resurfaces them properly, I replace them if there are any issues at all. Resurfaced rotors don't seem to last very long, which is another reason why I wouldn't have it done. Especially when you factor in the cost of labor.

I agree. In a shop setting, with very heavy/thick/large (expensive) rotors, maybe its a thought. But for a DIYer to have to plan, take them someplace, wait for the work (as Im sure next to nowhere is going to drop everything right then and there to resurface a rotor), its just not a practical thing. I dont think its the end of the world to do so, especially on rears in a front-biased braking system, in dry climates where they arent terribly rusty. But anywhere else?

I will say that my mind might be changed for low-use cars, with painted/coated rotors. I did have to re-zinc my BMW's rear rotor hats (big because of the parking brake inside), but overall they have stayed quite rust free. Vehicles which have spalled rust, its a non-starter...

I'm not one to change oil or do required maintenance sooner than recommended.

But my indy always put in new rotors when the pads were worn, and that I am in favor of doing.

Keep in mind one needs to check all 4 pads per axle. One pad rusted and not moving properly can cause abnormal wear to the point of chewing up a caliper. The inspection in NY only requires them to look at one wheel's brakes. It may have to be a front wheel. But still it does not give a complete picture.

I don't ever resurface rotors, I can get a good set for most cars shipped to my door for $50-75. Often times a fraction of that since Rockauto usually always has some on closeout, at least for my older vehicles. Pads usually last me 4-5 years, so it makes sense to swap the rotors; the cost per mile is minuscule.

I have never resurfaced rotors - if I see deformation it is no good!! Replace it.
In the last 20 yr or so pad technology has vastly improved and the need for replacing rotors is minimal.

I have never resurfaced rotors - if I see deformation it is no good!! Replace it.
In the last 20 yr or so pad technology has vastly improved and the need for replacing rotors is minimal.
Baloney. I regularly replace or machine front rotors 2x for every set of pads due to pulsation.

The old rotors are easily recycled. Cars made in the last 15 years came originally with rotors that could barely survive a turning because they were thin to begin with, so forget about turning and just buy new each time you need new pads.

The old rotors are easily recyled. Cars made in the last 15 years came originally with rotors that could barely survive a turning because they were thin to begin with, so forget about turning and just buy new each time you need new pads.
Not sure if that is entirely correct. I think the main reason for the shift towards new rotors is that China makes fairly decent rotors nowadays and the cost is low. Plus it takes less skill to replace a rotor than to machine one properly.

Rear solid rotors are quite thin and may not even survive one resurface. But the front rotors usually have plenty of material and can be resurfaced at least once IME.

I’m soon to do a front brake check, likely new pads on the Silverado, 63k miles. My plan is to replace the pads, lube the calipers, & call it good. The rear appear ok, closer look during the tire rotation.

I can see new rotors with the 2nd set of brake pads.
Same thing I did for my wife’s 2015 Altima. New pads on front, re lube everything. Rears were still good. Being that we bought the car in LA and only been up here a few years the rotors were not rusted. Will do new pads/rotors all around next time.
My 17 accord bought here in MA the rotor vanes are pretty well rusted. Have new centric rotors and posi quiet pads for next summer ready to go

Back