Restore Product questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any info on the Restore products and if they actually reduce blow-by etc. and increase compression. And if so, how does it work??? I have heard stories that they actually add a sand like substance which wears/polishes to do this, which sounds like a bad idea to me. Or should I just send out the money and do an Auto-RX

If you look at that bottle of Restore, you'll see that it is very thick, like the consistency of honey. It's been on the market for a long time and if my old sources are correct, it just increases the viscosity of your oil which reduces blow-by therefore increasing compression.

You can do the same thing by using a higher viscosity oil. It may also be formulated to swell engine seals, thus reduce leaking.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000677

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000538

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000249

i tried it and it works...i think, i felt more power...but later man my car was a slug....so it doesnt work

i stoped using it and now use auto rx ONLY.

some guy used it before, his oil analysis was off the charts with that...i forgot what chemical was wayy high but it was something

Lead and copper get high from this because supposedly they use those soft metals to seal abrasions in the cylinder walls.

My last 2 oil analysis were both great minus the high copper and lead, which was coming down. I believe this oil did it, because Al, Si, Sn, and other metals were single digit!

I don't know if restorer is worth it. I'd rather spend my money on Lube Control, AutoRX, or Neutra.

quote:

Originally posted by Vivisector:
Does anyone have any info on the Restore products and if they actually reduce blow-by etc. and increase compression. -*-*

It works. I've used it. Is wonderful if your application calls for it. That is a car with no real life left. One the Motor is Toast but still can go down the streets. If everything else works fine and you are looking soon to get rid of or replace the motor, then I think it is worth the cost to give it a shot. It saved several beaters that I bought and didn't know the engine was shot... Ya know, young and dumb...
One car I actually believed the Used car salesman when he told me the wiring (horn, starter, speedo, etc.) are wired that way because this is an old race car that's street legal... I bought it and found out everything on the car was shot...
You know the stories of SAWDUST - I had one!
Anyway that car threw a rod in only a few thousand miles - now that sounded COOL but the oil and loss of power wasnt.
So IMO if the engine is sound other than extreme wear, give it a shot, but if the motor is not worn-out dont worry about additives per se, use a good oil.

John is correct. Restore isn't particularly thick.

I have used the product in past vehicles and I can say that there was a definate increase in power. Enough of an increase that it couldn't have just been my imagination.

I was planning to test it in my current car like I am doing ARX. I decided to do ARX first but if compression is still low after the test I will do a report on Restore.

I am willing to bet that it does increase compression.

The metal in it seems to be a cause for concern among people here that are more qualified to talk about that sort of thing than I am so use it at your own risk.

Great quote Aaron Note: This test is not condoned or endorsed by the makers of Auto-Rx. Nor am I affiliated with, friends of, or even remotely liked by the makers of this product.

lol.gif

slalmom44, Unless things have changed since I was a teenager Restore is not thick like honey at all. It is a blue colored fluid that is rather thin. It is not any thicker then 5-10Wt oil.

I used it in a beater.. yes, blue and thin, I felt a bit more power afterwards. weird thing is that, i spilled some on the valvecover and it took an UNUSUALLY long time for it to burn off, many weeks where oil would burn off in days or a long drive.

Just trying to interject a bit of honesty and humor into my report Deepsquat.
lol.gif

Although I am sure I will catch **** for that.
tongue.gif

Like an Earl Scheib paint job, I'd have no hesitancy in using it on a beater. If it gets you an extra 10K on an engine that's about to bite the big one, so much the better.

I did use it on a Dodge Caravan with the 3 liter Mitsu engine. Did nothing for the valve guides, but then I don't see how it could be expected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back