resealing ford PS pump?

Project 95 Town Car leaks PS fluid at a decent clip. Not enough to stain the garage, but if I wipe the drop off, another one appears. I can't definitively see where it's coming from while it's still on the car.

Pump works flawlessly. It doesn't even make "the Ford noise."

Noticing I can just get a seal kit for a few bucks. Anyone done this? Did that fix it for you?

"the Ford noise."
Everyone can hear that sound right now!

If the pump isn't hard to get off it's worth a shot to reseal it. Especially if you have the "no sense replacing a 'perfectly good' __________" bug. I've resealed two pumps. One stopped leaking, the other leaked less. I call that a 75% success rate.

I have never had a power steering pump apart. But, if your PS pump is an OEM unit, I would rather re-seal it than replace it with an overhauled pump of unknown quality.
And I am famili with the Ford PS pump noise. I always wondered why they had that dying a long slow death sound? Old fluid, air in the system, pump design or what?

I used to work at an airport that had nineties vintage Ford fuel trucks in the F350 to F 550 sizes. I liked those trucks because they just kept going and going..

I've not personally heard the Ford p/s pump noise from anything other than '80-97 trucks with the dismally engineered C2 pump. In the same era Ford knew they sucked because vans got a real Sag. Makes for an easy swap for truck guys and the improvement is significant.

Looking on RA it doesn't appear to me that a '95 Town Car uses a C2.

That said, eljefino I don't think you're crazy and please let us know how it goes!

Project 95 Town Car leaks PS fluid at a decent clip. Not enough to stain the garage, but if I wipe the drop off, another one appears. I can't definitively see where it's coming from while it's still on the car.

Noticing I can just get a seal kit for a few bucks. Anyone done this? Did that fix it for you?
One thing to keep in mind. It may begin making noise after you are done with it.

If it’s the plastic pump housing then it’s a gamble at success. The old metal housings could be resealed but if they were difficult to disassemble it was possible to distort them also. You’ll have to get a pulley removal tool to remove the pulley to replace the shaft seal. Be double dog sure you know it’s the pump leaking rather than a hose and/or fitting before removing and resealing your pump.

Back