Required Maintenance on Old Car with low miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 1997 Geo Prizm with 25K miles. The seller says the coolant was changed approximately 2 years ago and the oil a few months ago. ATF, brake fluid and power steering fluid all look very clean. Are these 16 year old fluids still good since they are in closed systems or do they need changed? Additionally, timing belt change is recommended at 60K miles, should i change it now or wait until 60K. Thanks, ToddB

I would replace all the fluids as cheap insurance. I haven't really seen a time interval for timing belts, but given the car's age, it may be a worthwhile investment.

I have owned a bunch of corolla's and prism's of this vintage. All are do it yourself easy changes . They do not need it except the brake lines , but for piece of mind.
trans - drain and fill 3.5 quarts
power steering- use amsoil trans fluid - turkey baster and 1/3 quart - done 3 times over 3 weeks
Brake fluid - definitely have it sucked through each wheel - prone to rust.about a quart
coolant - less than a gallon - drain and fill
oil - leave alone

Timing belt can wait. Mine has 122000 on it. car has 323000 . all good

Last edited:
I don't believe the timing belt can wait. The recommendation it time is around 8 years. But then again i don't think this model is a valve cruncher.

I would also have a look while the vehicle is on a lift. Exhaust could be rusting as could brake lines (is salt used in the area).

Leaking struts. CV or rack boot torn?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Check anything made from rubber, esp. mounts and gaskets/seals...
...TIME not miles is the enemy there...

Especially the tires. View the date code on the tires and if the tires are old, replace them.

What do the brake lines look like? Other than that, I would change all the fluids and filters. Maybe the belts. Cars dont like to sit. The 88 BMW with 73 K original miles has required the most attention. Good luck, Geos were one of GM's better ideas.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Check anything made from rubber, esp. mounts and gaskets/seals...
...TIME not miles is the enemy there...

Especially the tires. View the date code on the tires and if the tires are old, replace them.

Yeah, I only got 14 years & 53K mi on the originals that were my '98 Grand Marquis... That said the car was garage kept, tires had no weather cracking and still had more tread than the ones I pulled off my '07 at 50K mi...

Tires that have been out in the weather for the last 16 years should be replaced...

This is a non interference motor. At worst it will glide to a stop .
Toyota O.E.M. (michobosi SP ) belts are among the worlds best. It can wait until you have the cash..
Do check the dot dates on the tires. 10 years is about max.

Toyota has regular package for rusty fuel and rear brake lines on 93-97 corolla's/ Prizm's. I just talked about it this week with my toyota master friend who replaced them on his daughters car.
Toyota price $1100
His cost for parts $34.
I have replaced them myself on my car .It is an all day job for a rookie. Not fun .
Get it on a hoist and have a look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back