Request for assistance

Lenovo "Hybrid" 17" laptop. i7, 16GB ram, 1TB HD, 8GB SSD. It's 7-9 years old.

This unit still works properly other than taking an age to boot and slow to load programs when clicked. I am considering changing the hard drive to an SSD but since it is a Hybrid will the 2 SSD's play well together? I assume that the HD would be the one for replacement but should the SSD be removed? Since my only complaint is that it's quite pokey to get going is this even worth the effort and expense?

FYI I have a newer Lenovo 17" that has a 1TB SSD that instantly boots and responds to commands. That is what made me so aware of the snail's pace of the older one. Any thoughts or advice concerning this potential change?

The old girl still works but she's a bit slow much like her owner. Thank you for any assistance or comments. I don't want to muck up a working machine by accident.

You'll need to reinstall Windows on the new SSD. You might have clogged up the old SSD. I'd ditch that 8GB SSD. Install a new 1 or 2 TB SSD and reinstall Windows. Should be good as new. See what's on the old SSD and move stuff to the new SSD. You could keep both SSDs but with only 8GB what's the point.

I think you mean the existing HDD is a hybrid with 1TB storage on spinning platters and 8GB SSD used for cache. This is one one unit, not two separate devices. If your laptop can take two HDDs, there will be no incompatibility between HDDs. However, I would be surprised if the laptop can take more than one HDD.

I use Samsung 870 EVO SSD’s from NewEgg..

Make sure the seller is NewEgg…

You can then use Samsung Magician software, and an external drive case, to clone your existing drive…

Last edited:
I'm all for reusability but I wouldn't invest time or money into a laptop that is nearing a decade in age.

Keep an eye out for sales for a new laptop..
As mentioned in my post I already have a new laptop but thanks anyway.

Last edited:
You'll need to reinstall Windows on the new SSD. You might have clogged up the old SSD. I'd ditch that 8GB SSD. Install a new 1 or 2 TB SSD and reinstall Windows. Should be good as new. See what's on the old SSD and move stuff to the new SSD. You could keep both SSDs but with only 8GB what's the point.
But what of the hard drive? Would I replace the hard drive and remove the old SSD? Will it operate with 2 SSD's? I know to clone everything to the new drive. It appears that I'll have to remove the back and take a look.

Last edited:
I think you mean the existing HDD is a hybrid with 1TB storage on spinning platters and 8GB SSD used for cache. This is one one unit, not two separate devices. If your laptop can take two HDDs, there will be no incompatibility between HDDs. However, I would be surprised if the laptop can take more than one HDD.
As I understand it they are 2 separate units. The SSD is for the operating system (Win 10). I'm not positive of that though.

Last edited:
As I understand it they are 2 separate units. The SSD is for the operating system (Win 10). I'm not positive of that though.
There's probably a M.2 slot and a SATA slot for traditional 2.5" laptop sized drives. I bet that 8GB SSD is used for Intel's "Optane" they had going on during that time but is now largely defunct as SSD prices have dropped.

What I would do is save all the files you want and then replace both with a single SATA SSD like one of the choices above and then have a fresh reinstall of Windows. That'll really liven up the laptop. The only issue I can see coming across that is if the Windows key isn't saved in the computer - then you'd have to find a key somewhere.

As mentioned in my post I already have a new laptop but thanks anyway.
Having a new laptop or not doesn't change my primary message - investing resources in very dated hardware is generally not a good idea. You may not agree and that's just fine.

Apple used "hybrid" drives like that for a few years - called them "Fusion" or something. It had a single, mechanical HDD (1 TB) with an integrated "SSD" type drive (8 gb ??). I had an iMac with it and really saw no performance benefit. Supposedly it would boot up quicker.... ummmm, I rebooted that thing only 3-4 times a year.

Whether yours has (1) combined/hybrid drive or (2) separate drives, if you want to do anything, get rid of BOTH of them and replace with a single SSD (if possible - should be though). Google the p/n of the laptop or try YouTube with that p/n and see what options you find.

Having a new laptop or not doesn't change my primary message - investing resources in very dated hardware is generally not a good idea. You may not agree and that's just fine.
Depending on the usage, it's got a good CPU, boatloads of RAM, and adding a modern SSD, for a "backup" computer, I think it will do just fine.... 🤷‍♂️

Apple used "hybrid" drives like that for a few years - called them "Fusion" or something. It had a single, mechanical HDD (1 TB) with an integrated "SSD" type drive (8 gb ??). I had an iMac with it and really saw no performance benefit. Supposedly it would boot up quicker.... ummmm, I rebooted that thing only 3-4 times a year.

Whether yours has (1) combined/hybrid drive or (2) separate drives, if you want to do anything, get rid of BOTH of them and replace with a single SSD (if possible - should be though). Google the p/n of the laptop or try YouTube with that p/n and see what options you find.
We saw hybrid hard drives in Dell laptops a few years ago. Toshiba and Seagate made them. They were labeled 'SSHD' and were hugely unreliable. Newer SSDs have made them irrelevant.

Lenovo "Hybrid" 17" laptop. i7, 16GB ram, 1TB HD, 8GB SSD. It's 7-9 years old.

This unit still works properly other than taking an age to boot and slow to load programs when clicked. I am considering changing the hard drive to an SSD
Describe an age. Your post has me curious about my boot up.

Back