Repo gone wrong.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by splinter
Deadbeat didn't get too many payments in on the '18 F350 before going [censored] up.

Nice the repo man gas a solid technician to call on at times such as these!

Why not comment on the busted drivetrain instead of second guessing on the person losing the truck?? You don't know why the guy ran behind on his payments. Could have been down on his luck because of medical or recent job loss reasons. Talk about trash talkin someone when they are down.

That's what I was thinking as well. Not everybody buying a new vehicle is a deadbeat who doesn't care about if they can afford it or not.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by dogememe
that could have ended up very dangerous... dodge quality strikes again lol.

Extreme shock load would destroy any brand in the same scenario...

+1.
Going OT here...a little bit, but....many years ago, I was at my brother's house and he was watching a NASCAR race. I'm not the NASCAR fan, he was, but I digress.
Anyway, Jeff Gordon was in the pits getting new tires and fuel. They let the jack down, he does a burnout getting out of the pits...and tears up his rear end. He is out of the race and the interviewer goes to him and of course they have to do the manufacturer's plug all the time. Gordon: "My Dupont Chevy this, Chevy that, Chevy this, Chevy that, my Chevy tore up the rear end....blah, blah, blah!" Meanwhile they are standing right by the busted up rear end that they showed had come apart and it was, of course, a modified Ford 9" rear end. I busted up laughing and my brother didn't quite understand why I was laughing until I explained this irony.

Every NASCAR car has used a Ford 9" rear, regardless of car make, since at least the 80s and probably longer than that. The axle breaks are more common on the tracks where the servicing portion of the pit lane is concrete, for Indycar air jacks, as the cars transition to the asphalt section.

As far as people not being able to afford the vehicles they buy, losing a job can be completely unexpected, even for someone financially stable.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by mcrn
I do not understand why people buy cars knowing they can not afford it. With a truck like this it was probably used for work and maybe that type of work was failing or whatever the case may be. I feel worse for people that are in that situation but then again buy a good used truck for a cheaper price until the business is doing better.

But people that just out right buy a vehicle they know they can not afford drives me crazy.

The businessmen praying upon the people who do this do not bother you though and handing out credit?

Repossession is part of the business model of many car sellers and lenders.

How are they preying on people? Are they putting a gun to their head and telling them to sign the paperwork so they can hand them the keys? They have a certain business model and charge accordingly. If the guy had 20% down and 6 months worth of emergency savings, he wouldn't have had the car repoed because if he had unexpected bills or loss his job, he would have had some equity to sell the truck or keep making payments for a while. But that probably didn't happen so the guy who got his truck repoed made a mistake and bought something he obviously couldn't afford.

If you follow that logic, should food establishments not sell food to people who are overweight? We could go on and on.

One auto dealer in Detroit makes it his business in giving loans to people with poor credit. The dealer himself grew up poor and is trying to give back to the community. Each car with a loan is outfitted with a remote kill switch that will disable the car once the loaner has defaulted on payment beyond any grace period.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 02SE
That's what extreme brand fan boys do.

I've noticed on Youtube videos in the comments for a video highlighting any specific truck brand, that the fan boys for the other brands will be talking trash. I picture a bunch of 11 year old kids who are super fan boys of the brand of truck their daddy drives.

Hahahahah, that's a great mental picture
lol.gif

Continuing off topic, I'm pleased to see a number of you calling out the judgemental nature of numerous members here. I recently watched an excellent South Main Auto YouTube repair for a FCA vehicle and the FCA haters in the comment section couldn't fathom that South Main Auto does similar videos for the same repairs for nearly ALL brands.

Come on gang, lets set a better precedence here.

FYI, my son had his car repo'ed AFTER it was paid off, LOL. Yea, it was a monumental cluster Fxxx of bad paper work/record keeping by the finance company.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
How are they preying on people? Are they putting a gun to their head and telling them to sign the paperwork so they can hand them the keys? They have a certain business model and charge accordingly. If the guy had 20% down and 6 months worth of emergency savings, he wouldn't have had the car repoed because if he had unexpected bills or loss his job, he would have had some equity to sell the truck or keep making payments for a while. But that probably didn't happen so the guy who got his truck repoed made a mistake and bought something he obviously couldn't afford.

If you follow that logic, should food establishments not sell food to people who are overweight? We could go on and on.
I think those who legitimately hit hard times would try to avoid repos at all costs. They would either sell the truck or return it to the bank willingly.

But yeah if you have a car that you can't make the payments on if you lose your job, you probably shouldn't have that car. But how do you appear rich without an expensive car?

Yep … sometimes I have a guy wanting more salary and telling me what the day-rate is as a consultant engineer.
I ask him could he make it several months after being in an accident at zero pay … and not being on company HMO.
Sometimes it's sobering because they know that $60k vehicle will be hauled off in the night right around eviction time
One even started reporting back on how he's changing spending habits

I think someone here was telling me most tow truck drivers have a habit of mashing on the gas to get the [censored] outta there - hence why trannies and driveline parts live a short life on tow trucks.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Each car with a loan is outfitted with a remote kill switch that will disable the car once the loaner has defaulted on payment beyond any grace period.

That's the way BHPH lots and operations like DriveTime are doing - don't pay, the car won't start - you can call in for a "grace" period but the repo man can still make a visit. It's a fancy starter kill with a cellular modem and a keypad on it.

I used to know a repo guy. He had a lot of good stories. My favorite is the deadbeat woke up during a repo and grabbed a single barrel, break open shotgun. The deadbeat stuffed a smaller gauge shell into the 12 gauge and it slid down the barrel and wedged in the choke. The deadbeat was frantically trying to clear the barrel and load the proper shell as the repo man drove away. The repo guy learned about this from the state trooper who pulled him over after he left the area. Apparently, the deadbeats report the car stolen to cause drama. The deadbeat told the cops he was trying to kill the guy but could not get the shotgun cleared and loaded in time. The repo man just laughed it off. I thought about repo work but that story changed my mind :)

Originally Posted by nthach
BHPH lots and operations like DriveTime are doing - don't pay, the car won't start - you can call in for a "grace" period but the repo man can still make a visit. It's a fancy starter kill with a cellular modem and a keypad on it.

Thats what I was thinking. In 5-10 years, repo's will be almost extinct.

I believe that if I were in the repossession business my trucks would have four wheel drive. Seems almost mandatory for that type of work.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I do not understand why people buy cars knowing they can not afford it.

But people that just out right buy a vehicle they know they can not afford drives me crazy.

The banks and credit unions allow them to do it. It is that simple.

The credit union that I belong to built and paved a new parking lot... just for repos. They have a better selection than a lot of used car dealers, and then they refuse to sell the repos to people like me.. someone who actually pays his bills. They load them onto semis and take them directly to the auction. where a dealer can buy them back... and start the cycle over again.

The repossessed motorcycles parked behind the building in early winter is laughable. Apparently, people don't want to keep something that they can't use in the winter, but have to pay for anyway.... who would have thought?

They shut my credit card off once, because they didn't like charge that I'd made to Wal-Mart. LOL. I have a WM less than a mile from my house, so I spend quite a bit of money there, quite often. Then, they pick one random charge, and shut my card off. If they'd only checked my history...

A manager from the Credit union called me on the phone over the credit card issue, and I let him know that they needed to be a little less paranoid about potential credit card fraud as a threat to the Credit Union, and instead be a little more concerned about their lending losses, and tighten up their loan lending practices a bit. Spending the money to build a new parking lot, for the sole purpose of storing all of their bad decisions, seems a bit much.

I know how.....but I meant their own responsibility. They can only blame themselves.

Personal Responsibility? What's that?
crazy2.gif
36.gif

That being said I am no fan of usury...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
that could have ended up very dangerous... dodge quality strikes again lol.

Dodge doesn't build the truck, it's a Ram technically. Also what in this situation that broke was made by Ram? Rear axle is AAM, driveshaft is Spicer, transmission is Aisin. Troll your FCA hate elsewhere.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
A manager from the Credit union called me on the phone over the credit card issue, and I let him know that they needed to be a little less paranoid about potential credit card fraud as a threat to the Credit Union, and instead be a little more concerned about their lending losses, and tighten up their loan lending practices a bit.

Unless it's a very small credit union, you wasted your breathe attempting to tell them how to operate their business.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I really want to know how these people can maintain their vehicle, in terms of registration and insurance. Aren't they all connected? (maybe not, but I don't know, hence the question).

No, they're in no way related/connected. The loan is a private agreement between the lender and the borrower. Registration is between the 'state' and borrower and insurance is between the insurer and the borrower. You / we do not want these intermingled.

Originally Posted by Danno
Had a driver spin the wheels on an Internationsl 5 ton rental and then got traction. Twisted the driveshaft and snapped the drive shaft. Not a cheap fix.

I saw a dump truck do that once. Spun a tire on sand (550HP Cat), hit asphalt. POP! goes the driveshaft.

Originally Posted by nthach
I think someone here was telling me most tow truck drivers have a habit of mashing on the gas to get the [censored] outta there - hence why trannies and driveline parts live a short life on tow trucks.

I knew a couple guys who did repo work. Fast getaways were part of the job...one driver dug a rifle slug out of the truck. Another quit after someone fired a load of buckshot into the wrecker.

One of the rigs was a "stealth" truck...an F-550 4x4. It had no company graphics, "ghosted" DOT numbers, (matte gray on a white truck), no lightbar, V10 engine, dome light courtesy switches disabled, the backup alarm could be turned off, and it had a "dark mode" switch-hit that, and the brake and backup lights are disabled. It was also a self-loader, and could be hooked up from the cab with the transmission in gear.

Last I saw it, it was in service with 660,000 miles.

In heavy use driveline failures are more common than some think. Guys from the USA feel the Hilux is bulletproof ? …
I buy driveline and suspension parts more often for those than the TLC or F350 …
(all of them diesel)

Back