Replacing steering wheel on 17 Corolla

The only way a junkyard would sell me a steering wheel was if I got the whole column. I would have paid as much as the column for just the wheel, but now I can use the wheel and sell the column itself on Ebay for more than I paid. Question is, does the column have the immobilizer module inside? Would the buyer have to get it programmed to the car? Could he swap in his original immobilizer? A key is included. Would the key electronics need to swapped as well?

IMG_7514.JPG

If it is set up like Ford does it, the immobilizer module in the column is just an electromagnet to energize the key chip, and an antenna to read the signal the key sends and communicate that to the security module located elsewhere.

If that is the case, it won't need programmed into the vehicle, but the inclued key for it will if you don't exchange the lock cylinder(or re-key it) to work with the original vehicle key due to it having a different chip code. If the chip can be extracted from the key and swapped to the other key, that should work too.

Does it matter? You just advertise it as being what it is, don't need to provide instructions on how to install or make use of it.

pretend like you are buying one on the various toyota dealership websites. they have pretty clear diagrams.

Back