1999 Sierra 1500 crooked steering wheel please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifted and modified Sierra 1500 truck with completely open front end took a ding from a hidden 3 ft tall poll, the truck rolled into it as I was watching traffic to my left and turning right from a McDonald’s exit there was a random pole that looked like they removed and left a stump. ONLY hit and made contact at steering knuckle right where the tie rod stud does. Wheels DID NOT MOVE. So only can mean nothing was bent. Truck runs completely straight hands off on highway. If something would’ve bent logically wheel would have toed inward. But did not move not even a 16th of an inch. Front and rear of front set of tires are 81 10/16in exactly the same as I left them 5 years ago. Problem is steering wheel moved a few inches to the left. For the steering wheel to have moved a few inches the right side that hit must have had to move at least a 16th of an inch inward right? If something was bent? Is it possible the steering shafts could’ve moved? There is no rag joint. Just 3 u joints on the length of the shaft. And where the shafts meet that I can only assume is a key insert. Could this possibly have moved? Truck has also always had play at steering wheel. But I’m assuming if it would’ve moved on the shaft steering wheel would move back while driving and be crooked both sides? I’m so lost and don’t want to get screwed at a shop. My entire front end isn’t more than a year old and measurements of front end tires makes me feel tires didn’t move or something is bent

Usually, if the wheels get wacked hard enough to throw the steering wheel off center, the alignment will be off and parts might be bent.
You can easily re-center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rods. But that doesn't solve the problem, it only hides it.

You already have a thread on this:

You also seem to really really wish advice given that doesn't agree with your world view isn't worth pursuing.

You already have a thread on this:

You also seem to really really wish advice given that doesn't agree with your world view isn't worth pursuing.
1 thread went dead and it’s buried after a couple days
2 everyone talking about tie rods when the wheels didn’t move. Was hoping for other ideas before finally giving up and adjusting tie rods. I have never came across a car to need tie tod adjustment if the tire toes didn’t move. Literally ran about a mile dead nuts straight hands in the air on a long strip by my house. Really the bump moved both tires?

l might be a DIY hack, but I would turn the TRE adjustment on that side counting the turns trial and error till the steering wheel is straight.

Park on a level surface, not a crowned one. Get a laser level and put it on your "good" tire with the steering wheel dead nuts straight. Point it at the rear tire. Should more or less barely miss it. Now do it on the tire you whacked.

Bent steering components are compromised ones. If you can't figure it out, go to a shop that can. Oversized tires have increased leverage that turns banging stuff inputs into bent metal outputs.

1 thread went dead and it’s buried after a couple days
2 everyone talking about tie rods when the wheels didn’t move. Was hoping for other ideas before finally giving up and adjusting tie rods. I have never came across a car to need tie rod adjustment if the tire toes didn’t move. Literally ran about a mile dead nuts straight hands in the air on a long strip by my house. Really the bump moved both tires?
l guess it could have, if toe is correct, and steering wheel is off, sounds like the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.
IOW's TRE's turned an equal amount in the correct directions.
Why not take it to an alignment shop and ask/tell them what happened?

Park on a level surface, not a crowned one. Get a laser level and put it on your "good" tire with the steering wheel dead nuts straight. Point it at the rear tire. Should more or less barely miss it. Now do it on the tire you whacked.

Bent steering components are compromised ones. If you can't figure it out, go to a shop that can. Oversized tires have increased leverage that turns banging stuff inputs into bent metal outputs.
Laser level and string test with very tightly knotted fishing line and tires line up exact.

l guess it could have, if toe is correct, and steering wheel is off, sounds like the steering wheel needs to be adjusted.
IOW's TRE's turned an equal amount in the correct directions.
Why not take it to an alignment shop and ask/tell them what happened?
Just going to take it in. Just have never really messed with steering shafts and thought if someone knew if that can move.

It depends on the steering system. If there is one rod between the two wheels and another one linking to the pittman arm / steering box, bending that latter rod will cause what you describe.

B
It depends on the steering system. If there is one rod between the two wheels and another one linking to the pittman arm / steering box, bending that latter rod will cause what you describe.
Bending that latter rod would cause steering wheel to turn while leaving tires exactly straight?

If the wheel is crooked now and was straight before, something is bent. You just can’t see it by eye. Put it on an alignment machine, you’ll see how far out it actually is.

If the wheel is crooked now and was straight before, something is bent. You just can’t see it by eye. Put it on an alignment machine, you’ll see how far out it actually is.
And wheels would stay completely straight? Exactly straight? Not being combative just saying

I’m saying what looks straight by eye can be very deceiving. Put it on an alignment machine.

Unless you measured the total toe before and after you hit something, you’re just guessing.

I’m saying what looks straight by eye can be very deceiving. Put it on an alignment machine.

Unless you measured the total toe before and after you hit something, you’re just guessing.
No sir I set the toe not too long ago had it written down and toe after the thump is exactly 81 10/16. Front and rear of front tires.

Then something upstream of the tie rods and center link got damaged.

Then something upstream of the tie rods and center link got damaged.
What can go bad about those things? That’s what I don’t have experience with. I swapped the pitman and idler for a lot thicker bigger USA parts but passed that like gear box I have little experience with. Like the steering shaft?

If nothing else is bent up to the steering box it’s possible that the gear inside was damaged. SOMETHING is bent. The steering wheel won’t just magically go off center for no reason.

Even though your total toe measurements are equal, I would still start by putting it on an alignment rack.

Don't create multiple topics for same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back