2004 Corolla steering wheel shake

No, they will do anything possible to not “warranty” tires that do not have visible sidewall damage.
I've had them pro rate tires before that had no visible damage, but they made a thumping sound while driving, and they had plenty of tread depth left...

My local DT was great about covering a Cooper Discoverer that had a broken cord.

I took them back shortly after purchase just asking them to re-balance because of a relatively minor but annoying shake around 65.

They road force balanced and said then it became clear one tire was defective. Because I had the road hazard "certificates" they replaced at no cost to me. I don't think I had to buy a new certificate on the new tire, but it's been six years so I could be mistaken

Have you tried swapping the rear tires to the front to see if the steering wheel shake persists?

Aftermarket axles are trash.

I had a bad one on a VW that actually vibrated with RPMs while driving, regardless of gear.

Have you tried swapping the rear tires to the front to see if the steering wheel shake persists?
Yes, no change, but one or both of the rears could be bad too... all of these tires were installed at the same time and are the same brand and model...

Last edited:
Aftermarket axles are trash.

I had a bad one on a VW that actually vibrated with RPMs while driving, regardless of gear.
I'm seeing at lot of this sentiment in this thread, however, the issue I'm having actually got slightly better after replacing the axles, which is why I don't think that's what's causing my problem. I now think it's either a tire issue, bad tie rod ends, or bad struts. I do believe the new axles aren't going to last anywhere near as long as the originals, but luckily, I'm only putting about 5K a year on the car now that I'm retired. I could also have a wheel bearing going out. This car still has one of the originals. The other three have been replaced...

I'm seeing at lot of this sentiment in this thread, however, the issue I'm having actually got slightly better after replacing the axles, which is why I don't think that's what's causing my problem. I now think it's either a tire issue, bad tie rod ends, or bad struts. I do believe the new axles aren't going to last anywhere near as long as the originals, but luckily, I'm only putting about 5K a year on the car now that I'm retired. I could also have a wheel bearing going out. This car still has one of the originals. The other three have been replaced...
That doesn’t mean anything. All you’ve proven is that a bad axle was replaced with one that was slightly better, but possibly still crappy.

That doesn’t mean anything. All you’ve proven is that a bad axle was replaced with one that was slightly better, but possibly still crappy.
As crappy as the reman axles may be, they don't have the play in them like the original ones had. The crappiness will be in how long they last compared the originals, which won't be nearly as long...

As crappy as the reman axles may be, they don't have the play in them like the original ones had. The crappiness will be in how long they last compared the originals, which won't be nearly as long...
It is not only play but also the balance of the cv axle unit as a whole. I am no expert with drive shaft and cv axles balancing but I know guys that are and rely on them. They told me they have seen some reman and new chicom stuff way out of balance.
The other thing is on many remans and cheap new ones they may not use a dampener like many of the OE have, that alone can cause problems

I go here for shaft balancing. They are local to me.

It is not only play but also the balance of the cv axle unit as a whole. I am no expert with drive shaft and cv axles balancing but I know guys that are and rely on them. They told me they have seen some reman and new chicom stuff way out of balance.
The other thing is on many remans and cheap new ones they may not use a dampener like many of the OE have, that alone can cause problems

I go here for shaft balancing. They are local to me.

Do you know, or have an idea how much shaft balancing costs?

Usually, Discount Tire is good about pro-ration on bad tires towards new ones. This will be the easiest thing to check. What brand are these, Senturies? Since I'm kind of familiar with their offerings.
Could you elaborate a bit on your experiences with this tire brand? If DT tells me these tires are bad, I will probably want to avoid replacing my current tires with tires from this company...

An update following my DT appointment...I explained the situation, and they inspected the tires for balance, and looking for any physical deformities with any of the tires. They said none of the tires were out of round, or deformed in any way, and one tire was 1/2 ounce out or balance. They rebalanced that tire, then rotated the tires. I immediately took the car out on the highway and accelerated to about 75 MPH, and the steering wheel shake was completely gone. Before, the shake was very noticeable at 70 MPH. THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME. The tire that was out of balance was on the rear, which means it was on the front, then I rotated it to the rear. This made no difference in the steering wheel shake. This tire is now back on the front after they rebalanced it and did the rotation. If any of you can make heads or tails of this, I'd like to hear your thoughts, because this makes no sense to me whatsoever...

An update following my DT appointment...I explained the situation, and they inspected the tires for balance, and looking for any physical deformities with any of the tires. They said none of the tires were out of round, or deformed in any way, and one tire was 1/2 ounce out or balance. They rebalanced that tire, then rotated the tires. I immediately took the car out on the highway and accelerated to about 75 MPH, and the steering wheel shake was completely gone. Before, the shake was very noticeable at 70 MPH. THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME. The tire that was out of balance was on the rear, which means it was on the front, then I rotated it to the rear. This made no difference in the steering wheel shake. This tire is now back on the front after they rebalanced it and did the rotation. If any of you can make heads or tails of this, I'd like to hear your thoughts, because this makes no sense to me whatsoever...
Rust on the rotor hub face and/or back of the wheel. They most likely cleaned off the rust during the wheel removal and this improved the assembly's total runout.

Back