Replacing some old non stick pans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After nearly 15-17 years of use, it;s finally time to put our old calphalon set and old wear ever pans out to pasture. Have to say both sets held up quite well over the years...

So, I've started shopping for a new set. Even though I work in retail (currently) and deal with this stuff, we have a pretty good knowledgeable group here, so I wanted to see what some goo ideas/suggestions would be.

Normally I would just get a higher end All Clad or Calphalon set and call it a day (first set made 17 years), but I just can't justify a 400-700 dollar set when we don't use all the pans in the set like we used to (though it it still cheaper to get the set). I do want something that will hold up, and be non stick.

I kinda like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Circulon-Stainles...ck+cookware+set

Let me know what pan sets that you like!

You might be interested in this then:

America's Test Kitchen recomendations are always spot on, but they can cause the market to go haywire after they release a video. (people will try to buy up the #1 winner of every analysis)

Also:

Look on wirecutter.com. They recommend some.

Unsure if the entire set of pans need to be non-stick. Maybe just frying pans. And assume the non-stick surface will not last forever and you will replace the non-stick frying pans every say 5 years.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Short of buying All Clad, I prefer the Cuisinart French Classic ($326) as a second tier set, and Walmart’s Tramontina set ($245) for something a bit cheaper still. I wouldn’t go below that.

Either will last you a lifetime with proper care.

Spot on recommendation with the Tramontina, We've had a set of the stainless tri-ply for 10+ years and love it.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
You will regret stainless.

Not if you're trying to broil a steak in the oven.......

You simply need to hold off throwing your current pans out for a while.

Standard markup (wholesale to MSRP) on quality cookware is staggeringly high. Like more than jewelry, more than clothes (both at about 200%; or 67% margin; i.e. $33 wholesale = $100 retail).

But they go on sale for what would be a normal wholesale to MSRP margin from time to time. So instead of $700 it's on sale for $199. That's when you buy and replace your set(s). The month when cookware is most likely to be on sale is December.

Why would you need an entire set of nonstick pots and pans? Buy a skillet for eggs and then a nice set of regular pans. Or some cast iron and enamel.

We have Pampered Chef stainless steel pots and pans, plus some old cast iron fry pans and a plain steel wok. The well seasoned cast iron pans and the wok are great for frying, nothing sticks. Cannot say the same for the Pampered Chef stuff.

I want an all clad tri ply fry pan. I don’t have the cash for that. I use almost exclusively my 1930’s lodge #8 cast iron skillet instead. It’s great. When I need a bigger skillet I use my modern lodge 12” skillet. I don’t like it as much as it’s way heavy but works great too. We have a few t-fal non stick skillets but never use them. If I make something acidic like pasta sauce I use a Kenmore stainless sauté pan I got from my sister. That’s all I’ve needed besides a few pots or sauce pans

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Seasoned cast iron for me.

They just take a little getting used to, that's all.

That's what I use as well. No non-stick stuff for me. I don't want to eat pieces of it when it starts to degrade.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
You will regret stainless.

Why?

All we cook on is all clad stainless and cast iron.

What about the Lodge 10.5 inch cast iron griddle ?

I was thinking about getting one for pancakes.

What you guys use for pancakes ?

ff717157-85d3-49f2-98db-f7a1780f33ad_1.e3a72d2ffa72ac26e09d1ff7e5b0e3f5.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back