Replacing PCV valve

Just ordered PCV valves for the sienna & highlander in my sig. I'm having slight oil consumption (1 qt/5000 miles) and I doubt it has been done on either vehicle. I've never changed one before. At least the Sienna looks simple enough.

Do I need to apply anything to the threads when I put the new one on? Or just twist it on with the same wrench that I took the old one off?

They usually end up with oil on the threads coming out, but if not put a little something on the threads - just so it doesn't bind given its plastic.

Did you mean, "just so it doesn't BEND given its plastic?" Just trying to get your point here.
They usually end up with oil on the threads coming out, but if not put a little something on the threads - just so it doesn't bind given its plastic.

Bind, get stuck, same thing....
^what he said.

My experience is the plastic threads are cut pretty tight, so given it isn't real strong you don't want the threads sticking, so put a couple drops of motor oil on the threads.

IIRC, it is metal thread and metal PCV.
It should come with some sort of sealant so you just take off the old one.
Clean the hole and reinstall the new one.
There may be some parts needs to be put aside to get to it.

I hear this all the time. But does changing the PCV valve really helps with the oil consumption?

I know a clogged valve will cause valve covers to leak though.

Just ordered PCV valves for the sienna & highlander in my sig. I'm having slight oil consumption (1 qt/5000 miles) and I doubt it has been done on either vehicle. I've never changed one before. At least the Sienna looks simple enough.

Do I need to apply anything to the threads when I put the new one on? Or just twist it on with the same wrench that I took the old one off?
The PCV valves(OEM) come with a sealant.

I hear this all the time. But does changing the PCV valve really helps with the oil consumption?

I know a clogged valve will cause valve covers to leak though.
In some cars like Volvo's a clogged PCV system w/ putout the seal do to an increase of crankcase pressure.

Back