Replacing in tank fuel filter? Forte 2.4L

I feel like on my past older 90's vehicles, a fuel filter replacement was every 15-30K miles or every year or two.... and now today? I did not even know the Forte had a in tank fuel filter.... Should I replace it?

I can buy a new genuine fuel filter for about 33 dollars, and to install it via removing the rear seat cushion, and accessing the fuel filter from the service port on top of the tank and pulling the fuel pump..

Car has over 130K miles plus 9 years of use. Change it out? I don't have any issues, this would be piece of mind replacement to hopefully save fuel pump long term.

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.47.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.49.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.49.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.49.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.50.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.50.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 5.52.46 AM.png

1666605684359.jpg

UPDATE: thought about this more.... i'm gonna leave well enough alone....
It was just a passing 5am thought haha.

Thanks for the feedback, and its good to know the filters are for life since they are more of a screener than a filter.. 🙏

This has been on my mind for almost a year, so I caved and ordered an oem fuel filter, and should be delivered tues. 😂

I will post pictures of the old fuel filter

@ 1 SX; I am looking forward to seeing your photos. Many OEMS have ditched in-line filters and replaced them with in-tank designs. I am personally wondering how they are all holding up.

you only replace the in tank filter when you start having fuel pressure problems. That is the point of them doing it that way

That’s the thing, the whole time I have owned the Koup, the throttle even after the PC controller feels like it losses fuel pressure at wot, as in 25% throttle can some times be more responsive then giving wot under certain circumstances. It also did it without the PC controller.
I have said it a few times in regards to the Kia’s throttle - less is more.

The sonatas throttle does not have that sensation.

In the few fuel tanks I have dropped the inside was pristine. Only dirty thing was my hands.

Now if you psycho ex wife pours sugar in the gas tank to say "good bye" you may need to replace the filter in the tank. A few times.

That’s the thing, the whole time I have owned the Koup, the throttle even after the PC controller feels like it losses fuel pressure at wot, as in 25% throttle can some times be more responsive then giving wot under certain circumstances. It also did it without the PC controller.
I have said it a few times in regards to the Kia’s throttle - less is more.

The sonatas throttle does not have that sensation.
What does the PC controller do?

Sounds like the computer is nannying you and the torque management scheme is what you're noticing. I've noticed similar effects on lots of cars...

The new genuine fuel filter is installed. Removal of the rear seats and access cover under the seat cushion was straightforward. After removing the eight bolts that secure the fuel pump assembly to the fuel tank it just pulled right out of the tank.
Installation of the new fuel filter was also straightforward , no special tools needed.
I only used a 12 mm to remove the two bolts for the rear seat bottom cushion, and a 8 mm to remove the fuel pump secure ring. The fuel lines are all easy plastic clips. You can just press in on each side and remove the lines.

Overall there is a slight improvement in drivability and as a whole I would say the engine just feels smoother.

No changing out the filter did not add double hp numbers, but I do feel as seeing everything caught in the assembly, the prescreen, and then the filter itself. It was definitely time in my opinion. Also the pre-screener appears to be permanently attached to the fuel pump itself or something so I simply used carburetor cleaner and cleaned out the pre-screener that way.

IMG_3787.jpeg
IMG_3786.jpeg
IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3784.jpeg
IMG_3785.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3798.jpeg
IMG_3799.jpeg
IMG_3800.jpeg

The new genuine fuel filter is installed. Removal of the rear seats and access cover under the seat cushion was straightforward. After removing the eight bolts that secure the fuel pump assembly to the fuel tank it just pulled right out of the tank.
Installation of the new fuel filter was also straightforward , no special tools needed.
I only used a 12 mm to remove the two bolts for the rear seat bottom cushion, and a 8 mm to remove the fuel pump secure ring. The fuel lines are all easy plastic clips. You can just press in on each side and remove the lines.

Overall there is a slight improvement in drivability and as a whole I would say the engine just feels smoother.

No changing out the filter did not add double hp numbers, but I do feel as seeing everything caught in the assembly, the prescreen, and then the filter itself. It was definitely time in my opinion. Also the pre-screener appears to be permanently attached to the fuel pump itself or something so I simply used carburetor cleaner and cleaned out the pre-screener that way.

View attachment 179452View attachment 179453View attachment 179462View attachment 179454View attachment 179455View attachment 179460View attachment 179461View attachment 179456View attachment 179457View attachment 179458
What fun is that. Access via access cover under rear seat. The fun is when you have to drop a huge tank from a Suburban, unbolting the tank getting all kinds of dirt & crap falling in your face. Trying to unscrew gas line fittings but snapping them instead. Having to remove a lot of waxy goo on top of the actual screw cover in the gas tank. (It keeps the cover clean I guess ). Having to replace the entire assembly because you snapped the fittings even though you used flare wrenches.

What fun is that. Access via access cover under rear seat. The fun is when you have to drop a huge tank from a Suburban, unbolting the tank getting all kinds of dirt & crap falling in your face. Trying to unscrew gas line fittings but snapping them instead. Having to remove a lot of waxy goo on top of the actual screw cover in the gas tank. (It keeps the cover clean I guess ). Having to replace the entire assembly because you snapped the fittings even though you used flare wrenches.
that sounds absolutely hysterical, and terrible at the same time .:LOL:

It's even more fun when you tell the customer to bring the car in when the tank is almost empty. They show up five days later with the tank FULL.

"Come back when you can follow instructions."

The fun is when you have to drop a huge tank from a Suburban, unbolting the tank getting all kinds of dirt & crap falling in your face.
Or on the cars where you have to disconnect and lower the rear axle first.

Back