replacing EGR valve in 95 chev lumin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought the part and getting ready to replace it. It seems easy enought. Two bolts and a wire plugged in on top. But, I realize that those jobs that seem the easiest can become nasty. anyone have any pointers I should be aware of?

It is that easy! I would suggest cleaning the ports with some spray. The intake port are notorious for blockage. You can take the throttle body off and clean it all the way through would be good.

Run the car with it off! If your intake is clear you should get a nice high idle. If exhaust is clear, it'll be loud.

I had my mechanic run a diagnostic on the computer and it indicated bad EGR. But is it possible the engine light could be something other than the EGR but related to exhaust?

The part was 160.00. I don't want to replace it unless I'm certain

Last edited:
Those GM EGRs are electronic,no vacuum.They fail regularly.Its more than likely a dead EGR valve.

Well, the one I'm replacing is original...with 170k on it. So I would say that's a good long life out of it.

Yeah Mechtech2, I was sort of thinking the same thing/ I"m just going to put the new one on. Carbon buildup is gong to be there no matter what. that's what you get when you burn gas. the main thing is I will have a new and functioning EGR valve on

Guys, I also notice what seems to be a cork gasket under the orginal EGR valve...Cork? Would they really have used that? The new EGR comes with metal gaskets... Do the metal ones go under the cork or on top of it, just placed alone without the cork gasket?

Metal is fine, no cork. Maybe someone had it off previously and "cleaned" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back