Replacing a Single Tire on AWD Vehicle

We have a 2019 Jeep Compass Limited AWD lease vehicle with about 20K miles on it. The original tires are Continental ProContact TX 225/55R18 98H and have about 5 or 6/32" of tread left. One of them has a small screw in the shoulder and has been deemed unrepairable by 4 local tire shops.

Given that it's a lease vehicle with 13 months remaining, I don't really want to put on a set of 4 new tires. And if there is any chance of being able to turn it in without putting on new tires, I know that all four will have to be matching.

I figure my best option is to find a matching "take off" with about the same tread remaining and have found a shop with one that has 8 or 9/32". Is that close enough or will that difference risk damage to the drivetrain?

Also, does your lease contract specify whether the vehicle needs to be returned with a minimum amount of tread left on the tires? If so, and you're likely to wear one or more of the tires below the minimum before you return it, it might be best to buy a new set now and at least get the benefit of the new tires for the rest of your lease term rather than paying for a new set as you hand back the keys.

The used tire from ebay looks like a good option. Alternatively, you could buy one matching tire and have it shaved:
yes and to elaborate only new tires can be shaved.

However its a pipe dream to think those tires will go until you turn it in.. IIRC they need 5/32 or more or they ding you for it on turn in.. you might have a different lease contract.

Maybe just buy new tires now and enjoy them for the next 13 months.. some good deals out there.

usually sams or costco run $150~~ off deals

Several tire choices at just under $80/tire on walmart. Add another $100 or so for mount/balance. You could put new tires on it for $450.

Or like said, mail order a used matching tire off eBay or any of the many used/new online tire stores. I've gone that route too.

It sounds like you've done a crazy amount of running around for this as-is. Even my cheap arse would have thrown a $450 set on it before I did all that.

Thanks for all of the responses! That tire on eBay appears to be the perfect solution. I haven't (yet) located a good "take off" at any used tire shops in my area.

I've considered putting on a new set, anticipating that we may have to when the lease is up, but... a) I'm not prepared to shell out that much money right now, and b) unless I can find a good sale right now, $500 isn't going to get you a very good tire.

Incase you can’t find a matching worn tire, Tirerack offers a shave service that will match the depth to your existing set. Makes no sense that you pay full price and pay extra to shave for less tire, but it’s worth it in some cases.

bookmarked united tires just in case!! great reviews + depending on shipping cost a good option! thanks

It's not an AWD Audi R8 AWD that you are pushing to the limit. Being a Chrysler have the tread depth off on one side will the least of your concerns. :ROFLMAO: sorry.

Audis and Subarus are more sensitive to tires matching than anything else. Toyota wants all tires to be the same brand and model on their FWD-based AWD system. Honda is silent on tires with RT4WD and VTM-4.

I would find a used tire shop or see if a Discount Tire is near by and ask if they have a take-off Conti. That tire is fairly common - OE FCA, VW/Audi and Mercedes tire.

Back