Tire shaving for Subaru tire replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
the angle gear is covered in fluid and when i make a left turn, as i am starting to roll into the throttle there is a whining sound from that area. plus i have a leaking axle seal. my warranty is paying for it so im not complaining.

btw does the updated sleeve really work?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
the angle gear is covered in fluid and when i make a left turn, as i am starting to roll into the throttle there is a whining sound from that area. plus i have a leaking axle seal. my warranty is paying for it so im not complaining.

btw does the updated sleeve really work?

Oh, it's not updated. It's the same sleeve. The sleeve is designed to fail in the event that something goes wrong. It has soft splines that shear off, where as the transaxle and bevel gear splines are very hard and usually don't shear.

Yeah, if you're getting one under warranty, I wouldn't complain.

P.S. They all leak
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Except you have to replace ALL the tires on a Subaru.

Can NOT go with just 2. The system WILL notice.

Sounds like a good reason to buy an extra factory matching rim and full sized spare to keep in constant rotation with the other 4. This way if a road hazard takes out a tire, you've can put the spare into use (and buy a cheap/used spare to keep in the trunk). Chances are, you can still use up the rest of the undamaged 3 tires plus your 5th matching tire before you encounter another road hazard and have to buy a full set.

I love this!

The only problem is I buy directional tires so 3 would wear at one rate and the other 2 at another.

Guess I could flip the tire and rebalance every xx thousand miles?

But a EXCELLENT idea and something I WILL do next time.
thumbsup2.gif

Can not put the normal tire in the spare tire well as on the Outback the tires are large. But it can sit in the garage
grin2.gif

This still doesn't work, as the 5th tire will always have X miles more tread on it. (X being the amount of miles accumulated on the other four tires on the ground since the last rotation).

So, you try this 5 tire plan. One tire has an unrepairable puncture, and it has been 5,000 miles since the last rotation. That 5th tire will have 5,000 more miles of tread on it, than the other 3 that are still on the car.

For this to work, the tires will have to be rotated fairly often, to keep that 5th tire fairly close in treadwear to the other 4.

This is the only thing that sis doesn't like about her Outback. She's always worried about losing a tire, and having to install a new set.

When she does install a new set, she always installs Michelin. The set she has on now is a set of Michelin Harmonys that I got for her on a killer deal at Sears a few years back. Unfortunately, she's going to need a new set before winter arrives. She loves her Michelins.

I better start looking pretty soon...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
This still doesn't work, as the 5th tire will always have X miles more tread on it. (X being the amount of miles accumulated on the other four tires on the ground since the last rotation).

So, you try this 5 tire plan. One tire has an unrepairable puncture, and it has been 5,000 miles since the last rotation. That 5th tire will have 5,000 more miles of tread on it, than the other 3 that are still on the car.

For this to work, the tires will have to be rotated fairly often, to keep that 5th tire fairly close in treadwear to the other 4.

There is very little wear on the tires within 5,000 miles. Close enough to be safe.

Like I said above, the only issue (other than the cost of the OEM rim to match the others) is that sometime I'd have to flip the tire and run it the other way to keep wear in check. Maybe I'd have to do it a few times in the 80k+ miles the tires last.

Take care, Bill

There is very little wear on the tires within 5,000 miles. Close enough to be safe.

Like I said above, the only issue (other than the cost of the OEM rim to match the others) is that sometime I'd have to flip the tire and run it the other way to keep wear in check. Maybe I'd have to do it a few times in the 80k+ miles the tires last.

Take care, Bill

But in your case, wasn't replacing a tire with an identical one after just 8,000 miles (with less than 2/32" difference in the tread depth) enough to throw havoc into the driveline...?

So, considering that, you're looking at rotating in the fifth tire at an increment of every 1/32" (to maybe 3/64" at the very most) of tread wear...

I'm sorry, but I'm still skeptical of the plan... If I really felt it would work, I'd gladly try it with sis's Subie.

The only other thing that I can think of, is that the replacement tire may have been the same brand, model and size... but the manufacturer had made a change in the construction... or changed the size of the mold, which made the tire a slightly larger diameter than the older three tires... even if the tread depth had been the same.

Is it possible that a tread depth difference of less than 2/32" could change the overall diameter of the new tire by two inches? Wow...

But in your case, wasn't replacing a tire with an identical one after just 8,000 miles (with less than 2/32" difference in the tread depth) enough to throw havoc into the driveline...?

So, considering that, you're looking at rotating in the fifth tire at an increment of every 1/32" (to maybe 3/64" at the very most) of tread wear...

I'm sorry, but I'm still skeptical of the plan... If I really felt it would work, I'd gladly try it with sis's Subie.

The only other thing that I can think of, is that the replacement tire may have been the same brand, model and size... but the manufacturer had made a change in the construction... or changed the size of the mold, which made the tire a slightly larger diameter than the older three tires... even if the tread depth had been the same.

Is it possible that a tread depth difference of less than 2/32" could change the overall diameter of the new tire by two inches? Wow...

The MFG makes the tire at different plants and the 3 were made in one plant and the replacement was made at another. According to the "limits" of the size I have on the Outback, the replacement was a "little large" and the others were a "little small" but all within the specs of the size.

Same size, tire brand and model. I was not happy since I made a big deal with the insurance company to make sure that they got the correct tire to replace and in the end they bought a total of 5 tires to make the repair right.

I think Jims idea would work. Next time I need tires (or if I decide to sell the Outback and get a Forestor) I'm going to try it.

If I buy a new Forestor I'm going to put new tires on it right away. I'll put triple treads on it within 1000 miles.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back