Replacement for BMW 15W40 non-synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm using the BMW synthetic in the 325. What a lot of good information. Thanks guys. My wife's car has 140,000 miles on it but it's in perfect condition, rides great, and gets 30 MPG on a highway trip. It has every bell and whistle so I'd like to keep it as long as possible. Book value is nothing but it's a great car.

I recently ran Valvoline HM Full Synthetic 10w30 in my 02 530i for 4k miles (6 months). It didn't burn any oil and ran great. I'm sure I could have gone many more miles, but I change the oil on my cars every 6 months, unless the mileage dictates it be done sooner. The previous advice given in this thread is very good. Like one poster stated (Quattro Pete?), decide on your change intervals first and then go from there. Any of the 5w40s should work great!

Originally Posted By: edvanp
Like one poster stated (Quattro Pete?), decide on your change intervals first and then go from there.

I think that was AJ.
56.gif

BTW, how many miles on your 530i?

I have 99k on it. Bought it last fall with 92k. Love the car, I see why people buy these. Just happy I wasn't the one who laid out $45k for it new! That AJ, one smart dude!

Interesting. I sent Castrol a technical inquiry and an engineer actually called me. He said that Castrol does formulate the 15w-40 oil for BMW to BMW's specs. He did not have anything retail that he could recommend for my car that was made by Castrol. He said usually 15w-40 is formulated for diesel engines and would not be recommended for gas engines. I don't know if that's the party line because BMW is a huge customer or it's fact. Maybe some of both.

Castrol said that the BMW 15w-40 is not a diesel oil. The bottle states for all BMW cars with gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: Bartman1ct
Castrol said that the BMW 15w-40 is not a diesel oil. The bottle states for all BMW cars with gasoline engines.

The API CI-4 rating that you posted before does indicate that it is an oil designed with diesel engines in mind. However, that does not mean that it is not suitable for gasoline engines. There are plenty of oils out there that can be used in both types of engines.

http://www.apicj-4.org/EngineOilGuide2006.pdf

If you can get hold of Fuchs Titan 15W-40 HDEO, that is a very decent oil for your application. I reckon you would be looking at $25-30 for 5 litres.

It says Distributed by BMW of North America, llc
Woodcliff Lake NJ

There is a stamp on the bottom
M072827BTN27020 18:46

It's BMW part number 07 51 0 017 868

That does look like the same specs. Odd that the Castrol engineer said that he didn't have any retail product with the same specs for my car.

Bartman1ct

Something you might want to check on that nice 525 is whether it's had the cooling system "modernized". It's possible that with only 140,000 miles it might still be original.

In the 1990's BMW used some plastic parts in the cooling system that tended to get brittle as they aged and fail rather suddenly and completely. I'm not sure which parts - radiator reservoirs and water pump impellers come to mind but I might be wrong.

For some of the questionable parts BMW provided replacements that were more robust (read "aluminum") and for some they just have to be replaced every so often to make sure they don't fail on you.

A friend of mine with a 1998 325i just had his coolant all drop on the highway a couple of months ago for precisely this reason.

Do a little research - yours may have been "done" or it may not, in which case a few bucks now could save you some grief.

Originally Posted By: jaj

In the 1990's BMW used some plastic parts in the cooling system

And they still do.

Quote:
For some of the questionable parts BMW provided replacements that were more robust (read "aluminum")

Not to my knowledge. If you ask dealer to do it, they'll replace it with the same plastic parts. If you want aluminum, you'll have to buy after-market parts.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jaj

For some of the questionable parts BMW provided replacements that were more robust (read "aluminum")

Not to my knowledge. If you ask dealer to do it, they'll replace it with the same plastic parts. If you want aluminum, you'll have to buy after-market parts.

I sit corrected! Thanks!

GTX Diesel was marketed as such for only a short time. It "replaced" Castrol RX. My BOSCH Mechanic, whose Dad is a 35-40 YEAR Master BMW Mechanic, runs Castrol RX 15w-40 in all cars that do not use the Syntec 5w-50 which he has in drums as well.

Personally, I believe there is room for improvement in his selection. A known-good 10w-30 would be usefull for the city driving in Philly where he is located. He's definately an "old dog", if you know what I mean. His brother runs Import service on the other side of the shop, but I don't know of any other oil stocked there, so again 10w-30 would be usefull.

Anyway, bottom line is any $2 15w-40 is as good or better than BMW oil and they both are "dual rated" gas and diesel. Same again with any 5w-40, which is better in cold and longer change intervals.

I'll again say that there are better choices for her driving style in thinner oils. MaxLife 10w-30 for instance. The only reason I would not use a Hi-Miles oil is plain oil works with Auto-Rx best.

One other synth oil that is worht mentioning is Mobil 1 Hi-Miles 10w-30. it's a thick 30, cheap and formulated with more additives, like diesel oils and older car oils are. It might be the very best choice and it's cheap as well as easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back