Replacement for 3387A with a bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '93 Bonneville that I don't expect to last a whole lot longer. It uses a 3387/10111 filter. Over the last couple weeks the oil pressure has been creeping higher, and now the gauge is reading very high pressure, nearly maxed out. I'm afraid the engine's internal bypass may be stuck, and none of the listed filters I can find has a bypass. Any suggestions?

You must have an in block bypass mechanism. This pressure symptom should not effect your media. It should only stress whatever drives your oil pump (distributor
confused.gif
).

The filter should handle the burst pressure. Use lighter oils to compensate if you're not going to do an Auto-Rx cleanging.

Most likely it is the gauge and not the actual oil pressure rising. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you're confusing the bypass valve with the pressure relief valve also.

I had a 1992 Buick, the oil pressure gauge was completely maxed out whenever I gave it gas, it was also very high at idle, I worried about it for a while but I think it was a faulty reading (I drove it like that for 3 years with no problems).

I think I did see that filter size made by someone with a bypass in it. Might have been a slightly longer version; maybe Baldwin ? Can't remember.

The only problem with getting a filter w/bypass built-in is that it will take over the function of faulty bypass in the block - that is, it will be in bypass all the time and not do much filtering.

Try a new sending unit, they do take a crap now and then.
If that doesn't work, it's likely the gauge as others have said.
A good mechanic should be able to test the real pressure so you know what's what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back