Replacement due but still clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Without this - http://www.knfilters.com/filterminder.htm - You are guessing

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BI...rd_i=B000E5XQDY

I recommend the K&N, its a little more expensive but more sensitive with a 10 inch water 100% reading.

http://www.amazon.com/85-2445-Filter-Minder-Push/dp/B000E5XQDY

According to one trucker its the exact same piece and it looks it, no surprise the K&N branded one cost double
lol.gif

Quote:
(this is the same unit that K&N sells for more)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I you open the box, you clean the box and put a new filter in. Otherwise DONT OPEN THE BOX! Biggest source of dirt and particulate ingestion and possible cyl scoring and damage! Maybe it's not clean, just clean appearing dirt micro-particulate.

Point taken, but how do you know that your filter minder isn't moving because your filter or gasket is damaged if you don't open the box?

I have yet to figure out how dust is getting up in the intake tract and in the engine if it isn't running, though.

Same brand names you'll see on Amazon. There's not a whole lot of generic versions of them.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I'd reverse blow it out and re-install.
That opens up the pores of the filter reducing its effiency.

I ran an air filter for 73,000 miles and the car ran fine, but the engine started to suck oil through the hose from the valve cover to the fresh air plenum. As the throttle plate opened and the filter was restricted a vacuum was applied to the hose to the valve cover. Oil coated the throttle plate. It felt like the engine would not produce torque. On a hill the trans would downshift easily as I had to open the throttle more than usual.

Just because the engine is fuel injected and runs fine doesn't mean the filter shouldn't be changed on schedule.

That is why you use a filter minder to show you when its time to change the filter. If you run in the south west and drive through a few dust storms you just might have to change it out early and that is where the filter minder lets you know its time to change the filter. I haven't changed out an air filter by miles in over 40 years, I just look at the restriction gauge.

ROD

Again, I pay nothing for mine. I take filter minders off of GM trucks in the junkyard for free.

One thing to keep in mind is that many factory airboxes have absolutely pathetic capacity for the engines they are attached to.

I have the stock airbox in my automatic Ram. When it's filter was brand new, it pulled 1/3 of the way on the filter minder. At 5000 miles now, it's nearly to maximum. I checked the filter, and it looks almost completely clean.

The stock airbox feeding the Cummins 6.7 is well-known to be a very restrictive design with a single air opening that is too small.

My Navigator seems completely incapable of developing restriction, even after 42k miles.

And yes, I have vacuum tested all of my minders to verify accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I recently noticed that my engine air filter was due change but when I look at it, it was completely clean.

Should I still replace it or hold up?

Hold up

Am I the only around here suspicious of filter minder? Mine hasn't moved since I installed it
27.gif

If you have a gasoline engine, and your filterminder maxes out at 25 inH2O, then you have installed the wrong filterminder.

Gasoline engines require the filterminder that maxes out at 10 inH2O.

Diesel engines require the filterminder that maxes out at 25 inH2O.

HTH

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Am I the only around here suspicious of filter minder? Mine hasn't moved since I installed it
27.gif

If you have a gasoline engine, and your filterminder maxes out at 25 inH2O, then you have installed the wrong filterminder.

Gasoline engines require the filterminder that maxes out at 10 inH2O.

Diesel engines require the filterminder that maxes out at 25 inH2O.

HTH

Yes you are right. Did some research and found that the range for a gasoline engine is between 10-15 H2O

Can anyone provide me with their filter minder experience with small cars such as sedans? What inch H2O vacuum did you replace the filter at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back