Replaced The Liberty

Afternoon folks! Well the years have not been to kind to grandmothers 2012 Jeep Liberty. Rust was really starting to take over, but the biggest issue was the 42RE transmission was starting to let go pretty quick. The 4WD was great, but it was a terribly put together SUV. Also not very economical, especially with current fuel prices. So, I was tasked with finding a replacement, but it needed to be a sedan. The only thing in her price range that was anywhere near decent was this 2016 VW Jetta 1.4T. I know what you're thinking, but I've had good luck with both my VW's I've had. Car has almost 89K on it. Was always serviced once a year or every 10K. Body is in very good shape, not even dented up! I took it for the test drive and I am thoroughly impressed with the 1.4T. There's a big mountain to go over and it went up it like it was nothing. Isn't a big powerhouse, but seemed adequate. Biggest thing is grandmother can get in an out of it better than her Jeep. She'll probably stop driving in 2-3 years so I'll make it my work commuter. Also takes the same oil filter that my 2nd gen Tacoma takes, so that makes keeping stuff in stock easier! Only pics I have are a couple from the dealers website.

JCx4yuL.jpg

VYg27gL.jpg

Best of luck with it.
a) Any machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives.
b) Congrats on NOT buying an overpowered stupid car. I know, my tastes might not match yours.
c) My dear mother "started it all" by buying a CPO 1999 Saab 9-5 SE. 'Twas extremely cool to see my Mom zooming about town in an understated poshmobile. "That car can get out of its own way"....car quote of the century....coming from an octogenarian!

Best of luck with it.
a) Any machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives.
b) Congrats on NOT buying an overpowered stupid car. I know, my tastes might not match yours.
c) My dear mother "started it all" by buying a CPO 1999 Saab 9-5 SE. 'Twas extremely cool to see my Mom zooming about town in an understated poshmobile. "That car can get out of its own way"....car quote of the century....coming from an octogenarian!

Grandmother still has a little bit of leadfoot left in her. We pulled out of the dealership with me behind in the Tacoma. I had to put my foot into the 3.5L V6 to keep up with her! 🤣

My MIL drove a never ending stream of Oldsmobiles, then Buicks, and now is in a Jetta remarkably similar to yours. I would never have believed it!

This may sound tedious but ask her...
If she actuates the ABS a lot, she's over driving the car. My dentist mentioned that his wife complained of a noise. It was the ABS actuating. "Ha-Ha, that's my wife", said the male dentist. I told him she was driving too darn fast -plain and simple-. He hadn't thought of that.

Also, if she's a speedy one make sure the car doesn't have bad tires. This time the inspiration for advice giving was the old Mercury I just got inspected for a friend. It rained here yesterday and the big car was breaking free and sliding with well treaded tires. They were just garbage tires in the wet....the worst I've ever experienced ever. Don't let that happen to Grandma.

Inspirational rant over...but good advice if I do say so myself.

This may sound tedious but ask her...
If she actuates the ABS a lot, she's over driving the car. My dentist mentioned that his wife complained of a noise. It was the ABS actuating. "Ha-Ha, that's my wife", said the male dentist. I told him she was driving too darn fast -plain and simple-. He hadn't thought of that.

Also, if she's a speedy one make sure the car doesn't have bad tires. This time the inspiration for advice giving was the old Mercury I just got inspected for a friend. It rained here yesterday and the big car was breaking free and sliding with well treaded tires. They were just garbage tires in the wet....the worst I've ever experienced ever. Don't let that happen to Grandma.

Inspirational rant over...but good advice if I do say so myself.

That's very sound advice. The car has new tires on it, albeit cheap ones, but new. She will not drive in the rain or snow. She's canceled appointments that were months in advance just due to rain. She was out my house the other day and it started to rain and waited longer here before the storm let up.

I put the car through its paces. Far more stable than the Liberty. Not to mention has better safety features.

Coworker just bought a 2019 jetta.. got 45-47mpg on way to florida and back.

Then hit a deer. He put it into some sort of slide and the deer turned around and its butt ripped off the door handle.. both passenger doors dented but not horribly. True story.

Afternoon folks! Well the years have not been to kind to grandmothers 2012 Jeep Liberty. Rust was really starting to take over, but the biggest issue was the 42RE transmission was starting to let go pretty quick. The 4WD was great, but it was a terribly put together SUV. Also not very economical, especially with current fuel prices. So, I was tasked with finding a replacement, but it needed to be a sedan. The only thing in her price range that was anywhere near decent was this 2016 VW Jetta 1.4T. I know what you're thinking, but I've had good luck with both my VW's I've had. Car has almost 89K on it. Was always serviced once a year or every 10K. Body is in very good shape, not even dented up! I took it for the test drive and I am thoroughly impressed with the 1.4T. There's a big mountain to go over and it went up it like it was nothing. Isn't a big powerhouse, but seemed adequate. Biggest thing is grandmother can get in an out of it better than her Jeep. She'll probably stop driving in 2-3 years so I'll make it my work commuter. Also takes the same oil filter that my 2nd gen Tacoma takes, so that makes keeping stuff in stock easier! Only pics I have are a couple from the dealers website.

JCx4yuL.jpg

VYg27gL.jpg
Nice ride👍👍

Good for you & Granny. Wifey bought one brand new in 2017 with the same engine. Changing the oil,filters and rotating the tires and she purrrs like a kitten. We are both verrrrrry pleased with the VW Jetta 1.4L Turbo overall. Ours is the same exact color of Grannys. ;)

Looks nice! Good luck.

What is the TB interval on this motor? I took a quick look and saw something that said lifetime—or 150k, whichever comes first. ? Sounds like something that doesn’t have to be worried about any time soon though.

Looks nice! Good luck.

What is the TB interval on this motor? I took a quick look and saw something that said lifetime—or 150k, whichever comes first. ? Sounds like something that doesn’t have to be worried about any time soon though.

Yea an inspection at 150k, replace if needed. I initially passed over the car due to timing belt. But after looking at all the other cars in its class (and being disappointed), I took another look at it. I think in 5 years grandmother put 11k on the Jeep. So I guess when I get it, I'll inspect it.

Back