Replaced my garage lights

Garage has two pairs of T8 tube lights, house is 14 years old and I’ve never changed them. One finally burned out. Grabbed some LED replacements, bypassed the ballasts and wired them in. MUCH better 👍

Before on the left, LEDs on the right

Attachments

• 94B0B002-4ACC-45B9-8E35-7B5D32C53657.jpeg
    94B0B002-4ACC-45B9-8E35-7B5D32C53657.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 51
I also put up LED's in the garage. They are great to say the least.

I have the old type as well and they work fine, but do not put out enough light. Can the Led's be installed without messing with the ballast?

Taking
I have the old type as well and they work fine, but do not put out enough light. Can the Led's be installed without messing with the ballast?
Taking out the ballast and direct wiring is actually pretty simple. Just get some wire nuts and follow the instruction that come with the new lights. You can get plug and play led bulbs, but I do not see any advantage after trying them first.

how much did your bulbs cost.. I got the ones you just put in with the ballast cost about 3$ each.
at the time the direct wire ones (bypass ballast) were about 5-10x more expensive +shipping.
yes but slightly less efficient and if the ballast goes the bulbs dont work.
If i was rewiring a shop where the lights were on for hours each day no ballast is the way to go.
for my lights that are on maybe 100 hours a year.. yea cheap and easy won.

They were about $12 each (Canada). I thought about getting the ones to use with the ballasts, but the ballasts are the same age so I figured I would just get rid of them and not have to worry about it down the road.

Bypassing them is really easy, wire strippers and a couple wire nuts is all you need. Takes like five minutes per fixture.

They were about $12 each (Canada). I thought about getting the ones to use with the ballasts, but the ballasts are the same age so I figured I would just get rid of them and not have to worry about it down the road.

Bypassing them is really easy, wire strippers and a couple wire nuts is all you need. Takes like five minutes per fixture.
those have come down in cost then.
I have a 100box of wago clips here too. so maybe 3min :p

I upgraded from two bare bulbs in the garage to two LED four-petal fixtures that are some sort of crazy mega-lumens things. And they're somewhat directional because you can point the petals any way you like. it's no longer like working in a cave while in the garage.

Back