Replaced Golf Sportwagen with an Alltrack

I have driven these at work before and they are sweet. The size is perfect and the awd is icing on the cake. I'm not exactly sure how to do it but if you mess with the gas and brake at the same time you can get launch control to activate on the little in dash screen. Just make sure traction control is off first.

I nioice my Jetta has no rear leg room - this Alltrack doesn't look much better.

My Wife's older forester was like a Limo in the second row.

Good Luck with this nice "looking" ALLTRACK.

but you wont see me in another VW after my recent Jetta experience.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I nioice my Jetta has no rear leg room - this Alltrack doesn't look much better.

According to spec, 2019 Jetta has 37.4" of rear leg room. 2019 Alltrack has 35.6" of rear leg room. By comparison, my old 5-series has only 34.2" of rear leg room, and yet I don't find rear space to be an issue, alas, I'm on the shorter side.

All in all, Jetta/Golf are compact cars. If you need lots of interior room, you should be looking at a different segment/category, IMO.

Volkswagen does make some of the nicest, if not the nicest interiors for cars at their price point. The 2015 Passat I owned that was bought back because of dieselgate had a two tone interior which I liked.
[Linked Image]

Just to clarify on legroom as many have mentioned it. The pics i posted are with me sitting far back, im about 5' 10.5" tall with long legs so i sit pretty far back. You would have issues putting a large rear facing car seat behind my seating position. You can fit one easily behind Passenger side with Passenger giving some space up. So if your like 5'6" or less this car will seem plenty big.

If you need to just go to lunch with 4 adults everyone will be perfectly fine for that type of trip. Try to pack 5 in? Don't, the tunnel in middle is big and its not a wide car. Could you take family of 4 on a trip in this? Sure, if your grown ups aren't tall. Its similar to back seats of other compacts but is nothing like the midsize segment. Worse than a large sedan but way better than a coupe.

Took it on my first normal trip to work today and i must say it really impressed. Soaking up all the horrible road areas and normal bumps very well and the DSG was shifting like a ninja, super fast and unnoticed. Seemed to read 20 MPG on the day, and that seems great for the stop and go daily route.

Last edited:

My Wife's older forester was like a Limo in the second row.

Good Luck with this nice "looking" ALLTRACK.

but you wont see me in another VW after my recent Jetta experience.

Not discounting your experiences with your '19 Jetta (about which you gave a very comprehensive review - thank-you for that) but isn't the 2nd from latest Golf chassis quite different (and higher-grade) than the somewhat "designed-to-budget" current Jetta?

As for me, I 'm probably more of a VW fan for their powertrains... as compared to their long-term chassis electrical prospects (long-term they scare me).

Last edited:
I believe starting 2019, the Jetta rides on same MQB platform as the golf. The jetta is intended to be cheaper sure.

But (and I may have my "generations" messed-up here) isn't there an 8th gen. Golf out now or soon-to-be that replaces a bunch of controls with touch-pad stuff? Meaning that the SportWagon and AllTrac were based on a 7th gen. Golf chassis?

MK8 golf is still in development, coming out soon. What i purchased is considered MK 7.5 golf, mostly a facelift i think. the MK8 golf will go back to German build and likely cost a lot more in addition to not offering the Estate/Variant/Wagon model to USA.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
DSG service intervals are 40k, not sure on the Haldex.

On Tiguan 2018 every 3 years no mileage listed.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by bachman
* Look over at VW Vortex site sometime if interested.... there is a good write up on many DSG subtleties and features, it's somewhat instructional and filled in some things for me that were helpful knowing.

Do you have some example areas at VW Vortex which particularly strike you as so? Perhaps a link or two? Pls/thx...

This may be the exact link but I generally go to forums like this and figure out the best ways to do specific searches ie; key words, features etc....
I think this here gets you through most of the hands on tips ! ENJOY

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

According to spec, 2019 Jetta has 37.4" of rear leg room. 2019 Alltrack has 35.6" of rear leg room. By comparison, my old 5-series has only 34.2" of rear leg room, and yet I don't find rear space to be an issue, alas, I'm on the shorter side.

All in all, Jetta/Golf are compact cars. If you need lots of interior room, you should be looking at a different segment/category, IMO.

Good spec listing. I was thinking to offer a link of some sort to that info. All cars and reviews have handy comparison stuff like that these days.
As per rear seat room or leg room, many nits I see posted about vehicles strike me and things somebody got wrong or just didn't catch when they were test driving or considering vehicle choices. Of course, needs or expectations change as well and not everyone goes 6- 8 or 10 years with the same car either. Some still swap out every 2 - 3 or few years.

Other times, vehicles are discredited for traits or features that are inherent in the design and layout and work well for the owners that did their homework. Mine is my personal daily driver and I'm thinking long road trips for one or two adults in the back seat would not be roomy for any 5'10" and up. That occasion may happen someday but for the most part our comfort cruiser, people-hauler is the CX-9.

*Admittedly, I did grow out my G-35 coupe for the more and more numerous occasions of growing grandkids and kid seats in that back cubby known as a rear seat in the 2+2 configuration. I did have a 5 year spell of some fun in one of my favorite sport car body styles though. Pushing 60 years, lifting toddlers in and out of a cramped rear seat is like investing in Tylenol.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Good spec listing. I was thinking to offer a link of some sort to that info. All cars and reviews have handy comparison stuff like that these days.
The issue is that leg room specs seem to be a huge mess in the auto industry. Manufacturers use a number of incomparable methods to come up with their numbers:
https://truedelta.kinja.com/do-you-trust-the-specs-provided-by-car-makers-should-y-1719248088

As per rear seat room or leg room, many nits I see posted about vehicles strike me and things somebody got wrong or just didn't catch when they were test driving or considering vehicle choices.

Agreed. Get in the driver's seat, adjust it to your preference, and then check how much leg room is left in the rear.

How is this legroom measured? With My Front seat in the proper driving position( not all the way back)

, I cant even get in the rear.

Rear seat room is NOT good given the length of the car.

But like I said, It's not a good body design.

And It's too heavy. Poor visibility to rear and sides.

But blame crashworthiness - or not.

I don't care about back seat room. I just put groceries back there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
My '19 Jetta SEL has plenty of backseat room.

Same as mine. What do you put back there?

I find it Terrible compared to the Forester which I would say is the most Capacious and Capable vehicle for the money out there. At least it used to be when you could buy them for 22K out the door for the previous Gen.

Wow, VW pulled the discounts and the 0% for 72 months. I literally got it on the last day of that lucrative promo. Now its like 2 grand off sticker and no subverted finance. Can't really recommend anyone buying at those terms.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
* Look over at VW Vortex site sometime if interested.... there is a good write up on many DSG subtleties and features, it's somewhat instructional and filled in some things for me that were helpful knowing.

Do you have some example areas at VW Vortex which particularly strike you as so? Perhaps a link or two? Pls/thx...

This may be the exact link but I generally go to forums like this and figure out the best ways to do specific searches ie; key words, features etc....
I think this here gets you through most of the hands on tips ! ENJOY

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...Game-and-Win-DSG-Driving-Tips-and-Tricks

Thank you; I will view. Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

Originally Posted by dwcopple
My '19 Jetta SEL has plenty of backseat room.

Same as mine. What do you put back there?

My 15 year old and 9 year old daughters...

Back