Replaced bulbs in Mag Lites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Mag Lite D cell flashlights that are several years old. Replaced both old conventional bulbs for LED bulbs and noticed a hugh difference in brightness. I know I could have bought new flashlights, but why throw away perfectly good equipment when they still perform very well with the upgrade.

I have 4 different sizes of Maglites and the larger one with 2 D Cell battery has a bulb and was trying to decide if I should convert it or not, know I know what to do! Thanks.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto
I have 4 different sizes of Maglites and the larger one with 2 D Cell battery has a bulb and was trying to decide if I should convert it or not, know I know what to do! Thanks.
TOTO.

Your welcome. Glad I bought the bulbs.

I used to be an authorized service agent for Maglite before they pulled all of their service center contracts - the biggest issue with the old-style maglites is heat dissipation along with reflector design. The original mags were designed for incandescent bulbs and there's not a lot of places for the heat to go. The original maglite LED retrofit bulbs had to have a thermistor that would back off the current when they started cooking themselves and had poor reliability. As a result, maglite re-engineered their switch and bulb assembly along with a new reflector that has been optimized for LED's.

Just be aware of this when choosing LED retrofits - simple bulb-size drop-ins will have a poorer beam pattern with a donut shaped hole in the middle or have poorer reliability.

The LED retrofits can make an old light usable again, however just be aware of the limitations before spending too much money on them. $32 gets you a new maglite, but they're still under 200 lumens. Modern Fixed-focus lights typically beat out maglite in terms of brightness, and the focusing function is no longer needed because there's at least 5-10X the amount of light.

I upgraded a 3D Maglite that I purchased back in the 80’s. This was about 5 years ago and it was a cheap led upgrade kit. I do like the light much better now though it cannot be compared to some of these new led torches they have. The flashlight is coming up on being 30 years old so I think anything you do to keep it running is well worth it. I also have noticed much better battery life as well.

I’m a big fan of LEDs. Every bulb in and around the house is slowly being changed over. I have a mix of old incandescent and cfl. The led light is much easier on the eyes and longer lasting as well as being cheaper to run.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I upgraded a 3D Maglite that I purchased back in the 80’s. This was about 5 years ago and it was a cheap led upgrade kit. I do like the light much better now though it cannot be compared to some of these new led torches they have. The flashlight is coming up on being 30 years old so I think anything you do to keep it running is well worth it. I also have noticed much better battery life as well.

I’m a big fan of LEDs. Every bulb in and around the house is slowly being changed over. I have a mix of old incandescent and cfl. The led light is much easier on the eyes and longer lasting as well as being cheaper to run.

My Maglites are around 15 years old. I ain't throwin them away for the latest super dupper lite.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: PimTac

My Maglites are around 15 years old. I ain't throwin them away for the latest super dupper lite.
01.gif

I agree. They are made well and can be a good club if that kind of situation arose. The new lights are strong and small but battery life is limited.

@Ethan1, a 6D, that’s like a small baseball bat. Great light.

I picked up a few of the Rayovac LED replacement bulbs at Walmart a few years ago, too cheap the pass up, around $2.98 at the time.
Retrofitted a 4D and 3D Maglite. Bumped up the lumen output I think, although color rendition suffers somewhat from a bluish cast.

Have yet to have one fail, No complaints with the beam pattern, which was nothing great anyway even with the original incandescents.

Overall, a nice upgrade but nowhere near the power of an LED Maglite.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-LED-U...13=&veh=sem

Did a couple of LED upgrades on AA and D Maglites, bulb brands unknown. Noticed you can't focus the beam down like with the OEM bulb and the light is whiter but the supposed longer battery life is worth it. Also have a newer LED D cell Maglite and it's great.

I have two Mag Lite D cell flashlights that are several years old. Replaced both old conventional bulbs for LED bulbs and noticed a hugh difference in brightness. I know I could have bought new flashlights, but why throw away perfectly good equipment when they still perform very well with the upgrade.

What did it cost? Ive got a few d cell lites that could use this!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
My 6D LED Maglite is 694 lumens actually

Are those 694 lumens "chinese sized lumens" or American actual lumens? LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What did it cost? Ive got a few d cell lites that could use this!

With my military discount, $13 at Lowes. You might find them cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:

Same here - mine is close to 20 years old and works just fine. I also replaced the bulb a couple of years ago though I thought it was a "xenon" bulb that MagLite offers/offered (??). I've considered buying a new one a time or two but this one still works.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

Same here - mine is close to 20 years old and works just fine. I also replaced the bulb a couple of years ago though I thought it was a "xenon" bulb that MagLite offers/offered (??). I've considered buying a new one a time or two but this one still works.

I have an older 3D Maglite, the reflector had dulled and switch seal was worn through.

Sent it into the Maglite warranty center with a polite note and got it back a short time later with a new reflector, lens, switch seal installed and cleaned battery contact points.

That kind of service makes me a customer for life.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
My 6D LED Maglite is 694 lumens actually

Are those 694 lumens "chinese sized lumens" or American actual lumens? LOL
wink.gif

Genuine Foot Candles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back