Replaced air filter 2015 GS 350

Just finished replacing the engine air filter in my Lexus. 60k on the car, 30k on the filter. Remove the intake tube. Interesting to note there is an extra filter attached to the tube after the air filter. I guess just a little additional filtration.

Looking at the filter it appears it could have gone much longer. Not much of anythIng in the pleats Replaced with a Purolater Pure 1.
CAEA481A-210A-4EFC-8B0D-5500A8241A15.jpeg
70FAE0CD-4C4E-48C2-88A1-9DD78912848E.jpeg

I like the factory filter; they aren't that expensive. In Silicon Valley. Lexus of Stevens Creek has one of the best part's departments in the nation, both price and availability. I buy most stuff like brakes and filters there.

I like the factory filter; they aren't that expensive. In Silicon Valley. Lexus of Stevens Creek has one of the best part's departments in the nation, both price and availability. I buy most stuff like brakes and filters there.
The original Toyota filter appears to be of excellent quality. The Purolater appears just as good and I like that they state the efficiency on the box. No price saving for sure.

Looks pretty darn good to me. I agree, it appears that it could have gone farther. But, without a restriction/flow gauge installed on the air box, 30k miles a good round interval figure. And much better than the recommended by some, 12k mi/12 months interval.

Looks pretty darn good to me. I agree, it appears that it could have gone farther. But, without a restriction/flow gauge installed on the air box, 30k miles a good round interval figure. And much better than the recommended by some, 12k mi/12 months interval.
I used to replace the air filter at 1 year/12k intervals until I read a report from Caterpillar discussing accelerated engine wear with too frequent air filter changes. The dust cake (their term) enhances filtration efficiency.

I used to replace the air filter at 1 year/12k intervals until I read a report from Caterpillar discussing accelerated engine wear with too frequent air filter changes. The dust cake (their term) enhances filtration efficiency.
Spot on! Cat was giving out good information. AFs do become more efficient with use, and new AF not as efficient as used. Of course, that's up to point and why I mentioned AF restriction gauge.

Here though, I do think topic had more life in it.

You are wise to heed the information in the Cat report.

Last edited:
Just finished replacing the engine air filter in my Lexus. 60k on the car, 30k on the filter. Remove the intake tube. Interesting to note there is an extra filter attached to the tube after the air filter.
That's probably a charcoal filter to trap any fuel vapors after the engine is shut-off. My Tacoma has one after the air filter.

Back