Replaced accumulator, how much oil to add?

2004 Mercury Marauder

My accumulator rotted out, and lost all refrigerant overnight. I ordered a new one and replaced the orifice tube, and all o rings on the lines I pulled apart.

I’ll use the ac machine at work to vacuum and charge it, but how much oil should I add to the system? The machine I’ll be using gives the option to add oil before charging.

I’ve read 3oz is common to add for accumulator replacement, but I’m not sure and would like other opinions.

thanks!

Usually there's a decal under the hood on the fan shroud that reads the amount of oil the system holds. But, did you clean out the WHOLE system, or is there oil still in the system? When I would come across situations like this, I would call the dealer and speak with a tech. That, or call an auto shop that excels in a/c work only.
Good luck!

No I didn’t clean the whole system, there is an unknown amount of oil still in there. I only replaced the accumulator, orifice tube and o rings

You can drill a hole in the bottom of the accumulator...drain and measure the amount that comes out. But I think 3 oz sounds about right.

are there other components you should replace since it was open to air?
It was only “ open” for a minute at best. I plugged any open lines immediately after opening them.
You can drill a hole in the bottom of the accumulator...drain and measure the amount that comes out. But I think 3 oz sounds about right.

the whole bottom of it is literally rotted out, it’s a common issue with these cars as moisture gets trapped in a plastic case that houses the accumulator.

I think I’m going to settle on 3 ounces and see what happens.

2004 Mercury Marauder

My accumulator rotted out, and lost all refrigerant overnight. I ordered a new one and replaced the orifice tube, and all o rings on the lines I pulled apart.

I’ll use the ac machine at work to vacuum and charge it, but how much oil should I add to the system? The machine I’ll be using gives the option to add oil before charging.

I’ve read 3oz is common to add for accumulator replacement, but I’m not sure and would like other opinions.

thanks!
This might help, I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

Aka pag 46
not exactly. Yeah, the Motorcraft oil is an ISO 46 viscosity but the additive package is geared to Ford's HCC and Valeo compressors. If you dont believe me send some of each out for analysis, the add pack is vastly different. I dont use aftermarket pag oils, only OE. I have 16 different oils in stock at last check.

not exactly. Yeah, the Motorcraft oil is an ISO 46 viscosity but the additive package is geared to Ford's HCC and Valeo compressors. If you dont believe me send some of each out for analysis, the add pack is vastly different. I dont use aftermarket pag oils, only OE. I have 16 different oils in stock at last check.
Interesting. I have never heard of this

Anything posted here is just a guess. The only real way to know is by measuring what is left in the system components and then adding to get what should be in there. I think most people would just go with a guess, I have done the exact same after a large leak.

Back